Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raymondo17

Protein-based Fertilizers for Vegetable Gardens?

raymondo17
9 years ago

I posted this question yesterday, but apparently it disappeared into the cosmos. :/

For years, I've been able to achieve a magnificent lawn by using protein-based fertilizers such as soybean meal and alfalfa pellets in place of chemical fertilizers. (Thanks Organic Lawn Care forum!) It feeds the microbes in the soil, which in turn benefit the grass.

My question is, if this practice works so well for the lawn, wouldn't it be beneficial for flower beds and vegetable gardens as well? Should I add some soybean meal to my raised beds this season?

Comments (3)

• glib
    9 years ago

This year I used blood meal. I saw no difference w.r.t. synthetic or natural urea.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Any organic fertilizer will work about the same. You can use the protein meals if you like, a prepackaged organic blend or even just compost. Just apply it early in the season before planting.

Both alfalfa meal and blood meal tend to be rather fast acting for an organic product and direct contact with plant roots can result in fertilizer "burn". Mix them in well before planting.

• renais1
    9 years ago

Alfalfa meal is also known to have other materials that stimulate plant growth besides the N. I find that alfalfa pellets added to my seedling starting pots really stimulate good growth.
    Renais