Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tobacco plants for insect control

Posted by tuscawilla 8b FL (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 18:37

Would growing tobacco near vegetable gardens help control insects. Is there enough nicotine in fresh tobacco to kill an insect that might eat it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tobacco plants for insect control

There probably is not enough nicotine in fresh cut tobacco to do much harm, the leaves need to be cured to concentrate that alkaloid. Nicotine is not considered an accetable organic pesticde any longer.

o

Around here, the gardeners who grew up in the depression use tobacco in and around their vegetable gardens as a pesticide / maybe barrier. One guy gave me several uprooted plants the other day for the seed. He'll plant it around the edge of his garden with a few plants scattered in and among what he's growing.

I have no idea if it is scientifically sound, but I know half a dozen guys who swear by it.

o

Considering that tobacco is highly susceptible to aphids, whitefly, hornworms and many other kinds of caterpillars, flea beetles, Japanese beetles, weevils, and a HOST of other pests, I can assure you that it does not kill feeding insects nor repel them. Tobacco, as a crop, demands an intense pesticide program.

So, if you're interested in using this plant as a 'trap' crop, I think you'll be pretty impressed with the insect activity it attracts. ;-)

o

Whatever these guys use, they call "tobacco", but it sure doesn't look like the commercial varieties I've seen in photographs, - small, maybe 2 " leaves, plants about 2 ft high. Each plant has a dozen or so seed pods about the size of a marble, with a bazillion tiny seeds - it likely is is something else.

o

What insects are you having problems with?
What veggies are you growing?
What is your soil like?
What fertilizer have you used in the past year?
What else have you used on your garden in the past year?

o

• Posted by byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 20, 07 at 19:22

I have some OG grown tobacco, the only inscet problem was flea beatles.

I have used 1/2 package of chewing tobacco purchased in 1994 to control almost every bug in my garden, Leaving my bene's like bees and dragonflies.

The Jerry Baker formula works well for me, $10 for stuff lasted over 13 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here