Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Washing Remove Pesticide Residue?

Posted by blueheron z6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 11, 06 at 19:03

I make applesauce and always wash the apples with dishwashing liquid and a vegetable brush before cooking them. Will this remove any pesticide residue? I don't peel the apples, just quarter them, put them in a pot, add a little water and cook them until soft. I then put them through a food mill. I use golden delicious apples and they are sweet enough so that I don't have to add sugar or anything else. The applesauce is delicious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Washing Remove Pesticide Residue?

There's probably myths on both sides of the argument. The only people who truely know work at labs and can test these things.
Although I'll admit I don't use soap and water... I understand that it is the way to go. I believe plain water isn't incredibly efficient though. I know some pesticides (round up as an example) are formulated to to wash off with plain water- some sort of bonding agent.

o

Um, mountainman, Round Up is not to used in the manner you speak of, if it was the spray would kill the tree.
Some pesticides will wash off with soap and water while others will not. It depends on what it is, when it is applied, and, sometimes, hoe often it is applied. Some pesticide residue clings tightly to that fruits skin and some is even absorbed by the fruit. Some systemics, not often used in commercial orchards, will be in the fruit and no amount of washing will remove them. The best thing you can do is try to locate an organic orchard.

o

g'day blueheron,

any spray applications that would be used on apples (over here i believe there is quiet a number) is going to systemic so no amount of washing will remove the residues. and as i further understand it most applications are systemic.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o

Sorry I said "to to wash off" rather than "to NOT wash off".... Oops.

Of course RU isn't used as a foliar spray in orchards, I was only using it as an example of a pesticide that would NOT wash off with plain water.

o

So it looks like I should buy organic apples, then? Makes sense.

o

Yes, do buy organic apples; washing does not remove pesticides. Consumer Reports investigated organically grown foods in its February 2006 issue and concluded,

"Buy these items organic as often as possible:
Apples, bell peppers, celery, cherries, imported grapes, nectarines, peaches, pears, potatoes, red raspberries, spinach, and strawberries."

This is the "dirty dozen" list of fruits and vegetables developed by researchers at the Environmental Working Group (EWG). Apples are ranked number two on the list, after peaches, the most pesticide-laden crop. The full up-to-date list of 43 fruits and vegetables (varies slightly from the Feb. 06 version) is at http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php
where you can also download a pdf wallet guide of the most and least pesticide-laden produce.

o

• Posted by jayk 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 22, 06 at 21:50

It's important to remember that "organic" doesn't mean the crop was raised without pesticides. It just means that the pesticides used were from an approved list of non-synthetically derived pesticides and some synthetic ones, which includes such quite toxic materials such as copper sulfate, pyrethrum, lime sulfur etc. IMHO of much greater concern than parts per million traces of pesticides is contamination with particularly nasty strains of microbes. Throrough rinsing of fruits and vegetables is always a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here