Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strawberry worms

Posted by aaronob California (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 22:40

I'm growing strawberries organically. The plants have finally gotten bigger and are producing a lot of nice juicy strawberries. However, more than half the ones I pick I can't eat because a worm has eaten a hole into it. It's such a bummer too, since I put so much time and effort into these plants and I don't get to eat the strawberries it produces.

How do I get rid of these worms in an organic way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strawberry worms

I found a picture of what they look like on Google.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Z_Us2xEQ9t8/SR05N8BwN2I/AAAAAAAAFFM/5_11F3cIHjQ/s400/strawberrywormDSC01743w.JPG

When they attack, you see nothing but a little hole on the outside. And they eat from the inside out.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 18:56

Perhaps slugs?

o

Nope, they're definitely worms. They wiggle around and move fast. See the link, this is exactly what they look like.

Here is a link that might be useful: worms I'm talking about

o

I say eat them worm and all. Who knows, might be the tastiest strawberries ever. Please report your findings.

All kidding aside, is it seriously every strawberry? I've had these worms along with other pests like slugs and pillbugs attack the strawberries when they were close to the ground.
You may want to try putting some coarse mulch around the plants such as straw or wood chips to confuse the critters making it hard for them to find the berries.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.PhotoLandscapeDesign.com

o

It is not every strawberry,but I'd say around 75% of them have the worms in them.

I'm not too keen on eating worms (haha!) I'll try the mulch idea!

Are there any organic pesticides I could use?

o

I got such worms inside some of my cabbages.
I think that they are red composting worms. Several years ago i bought red composing wors when i was playing with worm bin. These worms managed to escape in the garden.

I am planning to use pine needles next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here