Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The advantage of killing grass around trees....

Posted by buckster z8 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 0:47

Howdy,

I was wondering if it is wise to kill weeds around my peach trees.

I would only use OMRI listed weed killer or maybe mulch.

But I get off the subject. I have read that weeds take nutrients and water away from the trees. I want to get rid of the weeds for that reason but also becasue of the gophers and be able to see and check my emitters.

I have a lot of the trees like almost 50 so this is not a small area.

Anyways any organic orchard growers I would enjoy the info.

I would love the help

BUCKY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The advantage of killing grass around trees....

Grasses and "weeds" do uptake soil nutrients but whether it would be enough to adversly affect fruit trees is highly debatable. Some orchards around here have "clean" soil with no grass or "weeds" evident, but most have grass growing in the orchard along with the trees and that grass is mulch mowed right back into the turf where the grass clippings can supply some nutrients to the soil.
Heavily mulching around the tree trunk to aid in suppressing grass growth there can help make mowing easier, but constantly spraying plant killers to control growth would not be an acceptable organic proactice.

o

If you are concerned about the grass and weeds taking up nitrogen that would otherwise be available for your trees, why not over plant these areas with clover which will fix nitrogen into the soil for your trees to use, provide a habitat for beneficial insects, and provide a food source for the bees?

o

You might want to consider putting a heavy layer of organic mulch around each tree, with the mulch circle beeing roughly the diameter of the branch spread of the tree.

This will not only control grass and weeds, but fertilize the trees and slowly add organic matter into the soil. Any fruit or leaves that fall can just be left there to become part of the mulch.

Ron
The Garden Guy
http://www.TheGardenGuy.org

o

In Florida , we keep weeds and grasses away from our citrus trees . This is primarily because citrus are highly susceptible to foot rot and root rot from fungus . Peach trees probably do not have this problem due to a different type of root system .
Mulch sounds like an excellent idea - just keep it away from the tree trunks by about 4 to 6 inches .
Check with your local Extension Agency . They have plenty of info on organic farming and advocate the practice of using " earth friendly products . "

o

There's a peach grower near San Antonio who piles mulch down the rows between the trees. His mulch is on the order of a foot or more high. I got the impression the mulch extended from canopy to canopy but does not approach the trunk of the tree. With that much mulch even in Texas he does not have to irrigate.

I did not get a chance to talk to him but I would wonder about thinning and picking the fruit with that much mulch.

o

Is "orchard grass" for orchards? Or is that just a marketing name?

o

Orchard grass is called that because it is a grass that will "invade" an orchard a little ways. It tolerates light shade while other forage type grasses do not. It is very tasty to cattle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here