Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

How soon can I use my fresh chicken manure?

zzackey
11 years ago

We have 6 chickens. When can I safely use the manure in my garden?

Comments (5)

• Charlie
    11 years ago

You can use your chicken manure after it has been composted, typically 3-4 weeks, depending upon the weather. Can you send me some? LoL

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

You can use that fresh chicken manure anytime you want. Keep in mind that the Center for Disease control suggests that you apply it between 90 and 120 days from harvest of food crops, because of the potential of disease from that manure. Composting that manure before applying it to the garden would be a good idea since that can extend the nutrients that manure could supply and reduce your potential exposure to those disease pathogens. Composting can add from 14 days to several months to the time of use. 3 to 4 weeks is a pretty short time frame for most of us.

• ga_karen
    11 years ago

Depends on if you are planting now or already have plants established. I have my little patch growing things right now...cabbage, broccoli, peas, onions, carrots, radishes, lettuce. My cukes died last night in the freeze we had.
    If you have plants, wait & compost it. If you just have bare ground, spread it or dig it in now & plant in spring as normal.

• buckyz4
    11 years ago

Not sure what your biggest worry is, too hot and burning the plants or diseases. I would not worry about either. 6 chickens will not give that much manure that you cannot spread it out unless you have a tiny garden or are only using containers. As far as diseases, I know the Center of Disease control would not reccomend using it right away but chances are if they are your chickens and you are caring for them every day you have already exposed yourself to most of what the birds may be carrying. Do you ever go straight from the chicken coop to the garden and eat a cherry tomatoe without washing your hands? I know that during the summer it is a daily occurence to go straight from the animals to eating fresh from the garden without washing. I would probably not put it around lettuce that I would be eating the next week and be a little careful and only put it around plants that you don't eat the roots or any other part that could come in contact with the manure.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not worried!! I was just curious. I have never used it before and I wanted to do it right. Both for the maximum effect on my plants and not to get sick. I know they don't poop much. I've stepped in enough of it even when I ry not to. No, I never eat from the garden without washing my hands. I've become a germaphobe because of the chickens. I wash my hands outside with soap. I'm the washer, so I am very cafeful to wash my hands after washing the eggs. So far so good! 2 years of having chickens. I can't believe the price of brown eggs in the store! Weo!