Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pommes_gw

organic fertilzer for tomatoes

pommes
14 years ago

Hi, I just read an organic gardening book that said I should prepare the ground in the Fall with some organic fertilizers such as stonemeal(don't know names exactly in English,,,read book in German) horn meal, because tomatoes take nutrients from the ground.

Well, too late, I didn't do this in the Fall but just covered the beds good with a lot of mulch stuff from the garden.

So, is it enough if I just give a little extra nutrients to the ground in Spring or is it not enough time to absorb well in the ground? stupid question I imagine but it's my first shot at organic gardening.

Comments (16)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

There is no stupid question except the one not asked.
    It is better to prepare the soil in the fall with those nutrients that may be needed and adjust the soil pH because it can take some time for the soil bacteria to make those nutrients available to the plants. What needs to be put into your soil depends on what is needed and the only way to know that is with a good, reliable soil test. Simply throwing some "stonemeal", "hornmeal", or anything else could create as many problems as it might solve. Most soils do need more organic matter, compost and other vegetative waste and these things will supply nutrients to the plants.
    Too much Nitrogen can grow lush, green plants that produce very little fruit. Too much Potash can interfere with Nitrogen uptake. If the Calcium and Magnesium are not in balance many problems qwill appear. Putting that mulch on your garden may well be the best thing you did.

• pommes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great, thanks for the wisdom.

I am planning on testing my soil come early spring since I hadn't yet. I wanted to send some soil to a lab here in Austria last fall but everywhere I asked they acted like I was a nutcase for wanting to test my soil. I tried places recommended by the books I read....agrecultural labs, university and gardenschools,etc..

I guess at this point the only thing to do is check the soil myself this Spring and then just add whatever is necessary although the time is a bit too short. Better than nothing.

I read that also Stinging Nettel brew is good to have on hand when extra nutriets are needed at certain growth periods especially for the vegetables that take more from the ground.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

There are indeed, LOTS of stupid questions asked.

(Not implying you asked anything other than good questions, Pommes. I meant in general.)

Al

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Stinging Nettle teas have been used for many years by people that do not have their soils made into that good, healthy soil to aid in growing plants, it can be done.
    As I stated there are no stupid questions except those not asked.

14 years ago

Alrighty then. I guess there should be no argument because it was stated so emphatically.

BTW - Can the OP add organic matter in big chunks if he grinds it up into little pieces first?

Is it OK if I go do something else now?

Al

• darth_weeder
    14 years ago

it'd be a pretty neat trick if he could
    and
    I can give a definate maybe on the second question

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

The Op, or anyone wlse for that matter, could add big chunks, or little chunks of organic matter and over the long haul it would not make much difference since the soil bacteria would, eventually, incoporate both into the soil. That kind of thing happens out in the forest all the time. Tree limbs, even whole trees, get digested by the Soil Food Web that is out there.

14 years ago

That wasn't my question. See? - it was soo stupid you couldn't even answer it.

It's a rather well-worn and trite cliche.

Al

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

OK .. Al .... you've put me in touch with my 'Inner Btch'

Do you HAVE to challenge every little nuance of anything posted by Kimmsr? MOST of us [addressee exempted] on this thread are able to skip over or put into perspective these fine points .... "no stupid questions, except those not asked" is a truism.... not the literal-every-time fact.

In the context used in this thread.... I took it that as an attempt to make the questioner feel at ease. In other words a POLITE statement .... what is wrong with that?

Sorry for the rant, guys..... but I assume that most of us read/participate in this forum for the purpose of expanding our understanding/skill in composting and organic gardening... and to pass on to others the things that we have learned or the things that pique our curiosity.

• pommes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i take it you guys aren't the best of buddies?;)

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

OMG ! ! So sorry to everyone for my outburst... it was far worse than what I was tearing into Al for. Sorry Al ... it's just that you're the first imperfect person [subject to error] I've met in my 73 years...I am, of course totally perfect....[yeah sure] No kidding, I really did mean the part about the reasons why we read/participate in these forums .... and these kinds of 'snit-attacks' [mine included] are a distraction. Nice introduction to the newbie [from Austria] who asked a legitimate question about fertilizing his 'maters.

I am always blown away at the respectful tone of most responses.... and at the willingness to share what has been learned through hard-won experience ... with a nice portion of humor thrown in.

I promise not to 'go off' again in this forum. Will save the invective for the blankety blank gophers that eat my most promising plants [how do they know?]

Merry Christmas all .... felices navidades

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

OMG ! ! So sorry to everyone for my outburst... it was far worse than what I was tearing into Al for. Sorry Al ... it's just that you're the first imperfect person [subject to error] I've met in my 73 years...I am, of course totally perfect....[yeah sure] No kidding, I really did mean the part about the reasons why we read/participate in these forums .... and these kinds of 'snit-attacks' [mine included] are a distraction. Nice introduction to the newbie [from Austria] who asked a legitimate question about fertilizing his 'maters.

I am always blown away at the respectful tone of most responses.... and at the willingness to share what has been learned through hard-won experience ... with a nice portion of humor thrown in.

I promise not to 'go off' again in this forum. Will save the invective for the blankety blank gophers that eat my most promising plants [how do they know?]

Merry Christmas all .... felices navidades

14 years ago

Point taken, Barb. Don't feel bad. I knew it was wrong, & I deserve the scolding; I just couldn't help myself. I just get soo wearied by the rubber stamp twins ..... "Get a soil test" and "Add more organic matter" as the unimaginative mantric response to every problem, that when I saw the worn cliche I let it get the better of me.

Sorry for the off-topic post, Pommes. I hope you'll forgive.

Merry Christmas.

Al

• pommes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No offense taken by anyone. Still interested in gleaning some green thumb from you all.

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

Pommes ... have you looked at the Rocky Mountain forum? There is a thread about tomatoes from which you might glean some tricks of the "mater-grower's-trade" LOL
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rmgard/msg121042172279.html?20

WOW .... I just did a Google on 'growing tomatoes' a gazillion hits.
    http://www.veggiegardener.com/tomatoes/fertilizing-tomato-plants/[organic fertilizing tomatoes][I think you may find this useful]
    http://www.veggiegardener.com/tomatoes/eight-strange-things-for-fertilizing-tomatoes/ [8 Strange Things For Fertalizing Tomatoes]

• judyw_2009
    14 years ago

Tomatoes need nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, magnesium and a very small amount of boron. I fertilize my tomatoes a couple of times with the following mix:

Organic Fertilizer Mix Pour into a 1 quart container: 1/8 cup liquid fish fertilizer (nitrogen), 1/8 cup Biolink 0-5-5 (phosphorous and potassium), 1/8 cup Epsom Salts (magnesium; if you applied dolomitic lime to the planting bed you do not need the epsom salts as dolomitic lime contains magnesium), 1 teaspoon Borax (boron). Finish filling the jug with water. This is a concentrate and should be enough for approximately 40 plants. Place in a hose end sprayer, attach to the end of your garden hose and water your plants after planting and again 3-4 weeks later. Keep in mind that this is a general recommendation. The amount of fertilizer needed is dependent on existing soil fertility.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Great Tomatoes