Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to acidify soil for acid loving plants.

Posted by oldmainer z5 Maine (knarfme@comcast.net) on
Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 8:58

Hi Folks... I am going all organic starting in the spring...would like to know the best organic way to meet the needs of acid loving plants...shrubs...and trees....and certain things in the veggie garden. Franklin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to acidify soil for acid loving plants.

What is the acidity of your existing soil?

And how fussy are the things you are trying to grow?

o

In some instances adequate levels of organic matter in the soil buffers somewhat so the soil pH is not as much of concern. If the soil pH does need to be lowered the most acceptable method for organic gardeners/farmers is to add sulfur to the soil. Most all vegetables I can think of do fine growing in soils with a pH in the 6.2 to 6.8 range, although those I grow do fine with a soil pH of 7.2 and aropunf 8 to 10 peercent organic matter.

o

Yes to the sulfur, if the plants aren't already established in the ground (veggies) incorporate the S as far ahead as possible, in your cold soils you not get a lot of pH shift until next Summer or later. If you can, get a soil sample for pH before the S is added and again in the Fall to see what has happened. Getting a recommendation from the lab for how much S needs to be added/100 or/1000 sq. ft. to drop the pH will be very useful to you and important.

BTW, if your S is surfaced applied it will take even longer to do it's thing as it has to work it's way down into the soil through cracks and with rainfall.

Keep in mind that when it comes to lowering the pH very much to be patient and that soil likes to return to it's own equilibrium, meaning in your case, it'll want to push the pH back up from the S addition(s) over time.

o

Hi folks...I don't grow much out of the ordinary in the veggie line...and have found that just the regular application of compost and peat moss seems to meet their needs. I layer it on top of the garden along with leaves that I rake up...Ruth Stout style. I also water with an applicator that connects to the water line and I can put in liquid seaweed/fish fertilizer on a two week sceduale...give or take. I have a few blueberry plants that I have been using acid based Miracle Grow on. I will get a good soil test this spring and take it from there. Thanks for the info and help. Franklin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here