Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (17)

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

It's should be a no brainer that organic raised food is better than poisoned spray food. However, we are not cows, we should not consume cows milk, especially ultra-pasteurized milk..

Thanks for spreading the word, organics are far superior to conventional!

• glib
    10 years ago

It depends. I used to be like you, but over time I broadened my horizons. I eat grass fed butter, parmesan, and homemade yogurt. Sure, even the best butter is not as good as tallow, but dairy can be part of a healthy diet. Of course, if I had goats I would not eat cow dairy.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

We all eat it.. We all have cravings.. But ideally you wouldn't want to drink any milk other than your mothers, none after your weened.

• glib
    10 years ago

Bah. following this line of thought, eggs would be out too. In fact, there is something to be said for eating precisely those foods that Nature intended as foods: fruits, insect larvae, milk and eggs. Lots of nutrition, low toxins. The problem with milk is more in the industrialized CAFO operations, than in milk per se. There are better milks than cow, of course.

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

There's this Organic cow milk at Trader's Joe which is really good tasting. The regular cow milk is too salty for me, I make my own raw almond milk: soak 1 cup of raw almonds with 3 cups of water overnight. Mix in a blender for a few minutes, then pour through a strainer. The solids can be used for baking, or I use it to fertilize roses. Add a bit of honey to raw almond milk. Fresh almond milk takes 5 minutes, really good with cereal.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

"I make my own raw almond milk: soak 1 cup of raw almonds with 3 cups of water overnight. Mix in a blender for a few minutes, then pour through a strainer."

Very smart! Be even smarter and stop drinking milk, dairy is one of the worst things for you, unless your a cow, and the dairy is not cooked to death..

Another note of caution, where are you getting your almonds? I can almost guarantee you they are not raw.. Still, your better off drinking that instead of milk.

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Sam's Club sell Raw almond cheap in a big bag. Yes, they are very raw. See link below for nutritional data of Sam's Club RAW almond, Scroll all the way down, and you'll see the nutritional profile:

Here is a link that might be useful: Whole Raw Almond at Sam's Club

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 22:56

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I have backed off hugely on dairy, though I agree with Glib that the quality of dairy varies hugely. As a lifetime lacto-vegetarian I was relying far too much on cheese especially as a staple food.

• glib
    10 years ago

And yet you need the fats. You are not going to get them through vegetable sources, specially omega 3, vitamin K2 (MK-4) and butyric acid. We are no longer gorillas, and our digestive tract is too short to provide enough of these. Here in the North, even vitamin-D is an issue. Then there is vitamin B-12, not a fat soluble vitamin but something that is also produced by gut bacteria (of other animals with suitable, very long guts). All these can be had from quality grass fed butter.

I think I could be healthy as a vegetarian now, with what I know, but it would take daily eating of eggs and butter to keep me in shape (and some daily natto and seaweed, which are not commonly eaten in the West). I would have to forgo coffee and wine to get as much absorption from the gut as possible. Easy to do without meat but not so easy to do without animal fats.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Actually, if you read the article ... it was grass-fed versus corn-fed cows.

It was not organic corn-fed versus regular corn-fed, and it was not organic grass-fed versus non-organic grass fed.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I'd have to be very sick (or very poor) to give up my daily cup of coffee! We eat plenty of butter, sometimes grass-fed, sometimes not. And we still eat cheese, just not a big dose every day.

• glib
    10 years ago

no kidding. and I do not eat sugar, but one spoon in my espresso, sorry, non negotiable. I am healthy enough.

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The following was stated: "Actually, if you read the article ... it was grass-fed versus corn-fed cows."

H.Kuska comment: It was not as simple as that. The following and the next 2 paragraphs in the article explain the complexeties:
    " This study confirms earlier findings that milk from cows consuming significant amounts of grass and legume-based forages contains less LA and other ÃÂ-6 FAs and higher concentrations of ALA, CLA, and the long-chain ÃÂ-3s EPA and DPA, compared to cows lacking routine access to pasture and fed substantial quantities of grains [17]��"[23], [32], [58]. In most countries, lactating cows on organically managed farms receive a significant portion of daily DMI from pasture and conserved, forage-based feeds [18], [19], [21], [23], while cows on conventional farms receive much less. In the most recent U.S. government dairy sector survey, only 22% of cows had access to pasture [59], and for most of these, access was very limited in terms of average daily DMI.

The greater regional variation in conventional compared to organic milk (Figs. 1 and 2) likely arises from large regional variations in the feed sources in lactating cow rations. For example, conventional dairy farms near vegetable oil, soy biodiesel, or ethanol plants are likely to feed byproducts from these plants [60]. Other farms might rely on brewers dried grain (from malting barley) or a wide range of food processing wastes. Organic dairy operations, in contrast, are much more dependent on relatively uniform pasture and forage-based feeds, in part because of the grazing requirement in the NOP rule [35]. Also, certified organic sources of most processing wastes and byproduct feeds are not available in substantial quantities.

The FA similarities between conventional and organic milk from our CA region (Figs. 1 and 2) were unexpected. These conventional and organic milk samples came from the Humboldt County area in far Northern CA, a coastal region where both types of dairy farms graze cattle for over 250 days per year. This heavy reliance on pasture contrasts sharply to the near-zero access to pasture on most conventional dairy farms throughout CAâÂÂs central valley (the major dairy production region in CA) [61)."

H.Kuska comment: The point about it not being a one to one comparison of the same type of feed is correct, but it was not represented to be one. It is a "real world" versus "real world" comparison.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

Strawberryhill,

You have to look at what country it was grown and proccessed in. It's very uncommen to find trully raw almonds(that will sprout when soaked) due to the laws.. The only way it could be trully raw is coming from another country, or get buddies with the grower...

• TheMasterGardener1
    10 years ago

Posted by lazygardens PhxAZ%3A Sunset 13 (My Page) on Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 9:21
    "Actually, if you read the article ... it was grass-fed versus corn-fed cows.
    It was not organic corn-fed versus regular corn-fed, and it was not organic grass-fed versus non-organic grass fed."

Good point.

So really- More Helpful Fatty Acids Found in Grass-fed cows Milk.

• glib
    10 years ago

Hardly news. Go to the eatwild.com website, you will find references with the same conclusion which are at least 15 years old.

• davidlmorris007
    3 years ago

Really?? I didn't know about it, thanks.