See:

http://bulletin.ipm.illinois.edu/?p=1847

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spray damage from neighbors?

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 12:55

What makes you think it was "neighbors"?

Lloyd

o

Lloyd asked the following: "What makes you think it was "neighbors"?"

H.Kuska reply: Please notice that in the full statement the word neighbors has a question mark after it.

o

Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 14:08

So you're not questioning that it was spray damage, you're merely questioning that it came from a neighbor(s)?

Lloyd

o

Lloyd stated: "So you're not questioning that it was spray damage, you're merely questioning that it came from a neighbor(s)? "

H.Kuska reply. Please, just read the sentence as it stands. "Spray damage from neighbors?" and then read the link. I am presenting a report written for farmers by university agricultural personel. They list possibilities. I put one of the possibilities in the title with a question mark. There is not room in the title to list all of the possibilities. The presence of the question mark indicates that the possibility mentioned is not a fact.

o

Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 14:42

I may be mistaken but I never saw any mention of a 'possibility' the damage was caused by a neighbor in the report.

Or is this like one of those newspaper headlines where the editor puts made up stuff into a headline that has no basis in facts in order to inflame the masses?

Lloyd

o

Lyoyd, please list what you feel are the possibilities that are mentioned in the report then draw a logic circle. I feel that your logic circle should have 2 possibilities: 1) the farmer caused the problem him/herself and 2) a neighbor caused the problem. My interpretation of the article is that it did not rule out either possibility. For the organic gardner/farmer that this thread is directed to (if they observed this in their fields), I assumed that he/she can rule out that he/she caused the problem and that he/she would be suspecting a neighbor.

o

...the answer to a question no one asked...in question form.

o

"question marknoun : the punctuation mark ? that is used after a direct question or to indicate that something (such as a birth date) is uncertain

: someone or something that causes feelings of doubt or uncertainty
CloseStyle: MLA APA ChicagoFull Definition of QUESTION MARK
1a : something unknown, unknowable, or uncertain b : someone (as an athlete) whose condition, talent, or potential for success is in doubt
2: a mark ? used in writing and printing at the conclusion of a sentence to indicate a direct question
H.Kuska comment: The above is from the
Merriam-Webster on line dictionary. see the following link:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/question mark

----------------------------------------------

"Question Marks are used to:
-Indicate the sentence is a question
-Demonstrate Surprise
-Show Skepticism, uncertainty and the unknown"
H.Kuska comment: The above is from the following link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Question-Marks-Correctly
--------------------------------------------------
"How to Use Question Marks Correctly? It's also useful for demonstrating surprise, skepticism, uncertainty, and the unknown."

H.Kuska comment: The above is from the following link:
http://prezi.com/k4rfmk7bgduv/question-mark-and-exclamation-mark/

------------------------------------------
H.Kuska comment: Please notice that all 3 allow for the use of the question mark to indicate uncertainty. I tried to explain that "The presence of the question mark indicates that the possibility mentioned is not a fact."

o

...the answer to a question no one asked...in long rambling defensive rant form.

o

Apparently at least one person still feels that a question mark always indicates a question.

Back to the subject of possible spray damage from neighbors. An Ontario October 2013 Ph.D. Thesis reported the following: "There have been 212 spray drift or overspray complaints registered with the Ontario Ministry of the Environment since 2008 (Roberto Sacilotto, personal communication, 2012), and there are thousands of off-target drift complaints submitted annually to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (EPA 1999). Although incidences of herbicide drift may occur with no noticeable damage, the likelihood of crop damage increases when different crops, requiring different herbicides, are grown within close proximity."

AND

"With continued reliance on genetically modified crops the potential for a glyphosate drift event is high. The general perception is that if not increasing, then at least the number of reported spray drift occurrences is increasing. Since 2008 the number of spray drift or overspray complaints registered with the Ontario Ministry of the Environment has increased by almost 1.5 times (Roberto Sacilotto, personal communication, 2012)."

Here is a link that might be useful: link to thesis

o

Regarding real world over spray damage to an organic farmer.
"The Langan plaintiffs were organic growers in the Yakima Valley of Washington who sued neighbors who had employed a cropduster to spray pesticides on their farm property. 3~ Although testimony was conflicting as to how it got there, pesticide residue was detected in the Langans' vegetable crop.40 Because p(:sticide residues were detected in their growing crops, the Langans lost their certification as organic farmers by the Northwest Organic Food Producers' AssociationY Perhaps because of decertification, the Langans pulled up their plants from the ground and let them die.42 They then brought suit against their neighbors who had employed the cropdusters."

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

o

The point --->.

<------ you are here.

o

Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 23:37

Well Henry, as the article clearly states that some of the field edges border roads and/or ditches, I would add municipal applicators to your list of possible logical possibilities if the damage was indeed caused by pesticides.

I myself would hesitate to blame a neighbor for damage they might have had nothing to do with. But that's just me.

Lloyd

o

Damage to crops from overspray from applying herbicides being sprayed on neighboring fields is not a new phenomenon. The same thing is seen where salt is spread on roads and that salt lands on nearby fields.

o

Kimmsr's tails to kuska's heads, the yin to the yang, Yahweh to belial

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here