Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood ash & coffee grinds

Posted by tennessee z7TN (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 16, 06 at 11:50

I have a small vegetable garden 30' x 20'. We burn hardwoods in our insert & have wood ash. Could I mix our coffee grinds with the wood ash to counteract the ph?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood ash & coffee grinds

coffee grounds are NOT noticeably acidic - an excess of wood ash in soil that doesn't need it is very counterproductive

Bill

o

As Bill noted, coffee grounds (used) aren't very acidic. They are acidic before being brewed, but once brewed tend to be near neutral in pH.

Wood ash is fine to add to the soil as an amendment as long as you understand you are adding both alkalinity and potassium.

Some areas have soils with excessive potassium levels, make sure yours isn't one of them or you are doing more harm than good.

Wood ash is best used on soils where a pH raise and potassium source are both desired. If only one is desired, I would recomend an alternative.

Having said that, the potassium and pH changes aren't dramatic unless the amount of ash is very high. If you simply wish to have a means of disposing of the ash, then it is fine to scatter it thinly around the lawn and gardens.

In other words, don't be afraid to give it back to the earth, but don't dump it repeatedly in the same small area unless you want to raise pH and potassium levels over the course of a few years in that area.

o

Even though the University of Tennessee says that 50 percent of Tennessee soils need some lime you need to have you soil tested by them before adding wood ash to determine if some is needed and how much would be needed to adjust the pH of your soil. Contact your local office about soil tests and keep in mind that fall, not spring, is the best time to adjust the soils pH.

Here is a link that might be useful: UT CES

o

I add reasonable amounts of wood ash to my compost pile without noticible problems. Large amounts would likely slow composting down and give some funky effects, but composting seems to counteract the pH effects of some amount of wood ash and likely stabilizes K in the humus.

I have acidic soil and apply it to the lawn sparingly several times during the growing seasons. Too much at once would cause a wild pH swing. A little at a time slows the use of it as it's effect is pretty fast-acting, but short- term compared to say pelletized lime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here