Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalilu

Alfalfa Pellets

jalilu
9 years ago

Hi

I would like to fertilize my young mangos with alfalfa pellets, because I read that they slowly release their nutrients, unlike the fertilizers sold here (chemical ones). Is there anyone fertilizing fruit trees (mangos, lychee) with alfalfa pellets, and in what amounts and times per months or year ?

Thanks

Jalilu

Comments (17)

• renais1
    9 years ago

I use alfalfa pellets for fertilizing quite a few plants on occasion. Besides the N that they provide, alfalfa is known to provide growth stimulants which enhance plant growth. Note that there are a number of different alfalfa pellets on the market, and some are definitely much better than others. There are things labeled alfalfa pellets which contain timothy grass as well. I have found that these pellets produce lots of weeds that are difficult to remove from the grass seed in them. Avoid at all costs! There are pellets which contain salt and other supplements for horses or cattle. There is a pretty good dose of salt, so I would avoid these as well. There are plain alfalfa pellets which are just ground and pressed alfalfa; these are ok, but there is an even better option. There are pellets which have alfalfa, some molasses, and some phosphorus. These are by far my favorite for fertilizing. The added materials really seem to stimulate and support plant growth better than the plain pellets, I often need the P in the plants I fertilize, so having the combo is nice. Note that many folks (not me) make teas with alfalfa; they often add molasses to their teas. As far as quantity to use, it depends on what else you are using for fertilizer. I use the combo pellets about once a month, and fertilize with a complete soluble fertilizer the other weeks of the months. (I generally fertilize once per week.). For a plant in a 10-12" pot I'll use about 12 ounces dry measure of alfalfa pellets. I sprinkle the pellets on the surface and leave them. They will slowly absorb moisture from the soil and begin to dissolve. I drip irrigate practically everything, so sometimes the surface is fairly dry. If I have the time and inclination, I'll sometimes mix the pellets into the top of the soil. As far as fruit trees go, I have seen particularly quick and good responses with my figs. These are in 15 gallon pots, and receive about 16 dry ounces of pellets each month. They are in a greenhouse, so they are fed all year. Pomegranates respond very quickly to alfalfa as well, but they may make too much growth if given the same kinds of doses as figs. They get about 5 dry ounces a month, and more of their fertilization comes from soluble sources. I have apples, peaches and plums which receive about a gallon dry pellets once a year as they are budding out. I don't grow mangos or lychee now; when I did grow lychee, I found that a low N source from soluble sources was preferable for them as well, with just a bit of alfalfa each month. Lychees can grow too vigorously otherwise, and will have lots of leaves vs. lots of fruit. Check feed stores in your area; I find wide variations in the price of alfalfa pellets from place to place. I generally pay about $11/50 lb bag of the pellets with molasses and phosphorus. I would also avoid the alfalfa cubes: I find they may have a similar nutrient profile, but tend to have a lot more weeds.
    Renais

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Alfalfa pellets can have up to 5 percent Nitrogen as well as other essential nutrients, and most often are applied at the rate of 25 to 50 pounds per 1,ooo square feet when needed.
    What is the soil you have like? Plants growing in good healthy soils, well endowed with organic matter that are evenly moist but well drained will grow, and produce, really well without too much other inputs.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Afalfa pellets

• jalilu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Renais and Kim

My trees are planted in sandy soil (former dunes brought from the beach by the wind) with a 10 inch topsoil layer. It rains a lot during autumn and winter (29 inch year average), so nutrients got leached while water evaporates quickly during the windy summers. I am mulching with homemade compost and manure when I can get it from farms but I thought about adding alfalfa pellets for their essential nutrients and growth stimulators.

With regard to their composition, it is not indicated on the bags. I will try to get them analyzed before using them.

Jalilu

• missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
    9 years ago

I'm having trouble finding the right types of Alfalfa. I was planning to go to the local Tractor Supply and wanted to ask if these are the preferred pellets?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/standlee-hay-alfalfa-hay-pellets

or

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/producers-pridereg%3B-rabbit-feed-50-lb

This is what I did buy and I wonder if it's really the right stuff: http://www.kaytee.com/products/supreme-rabbit.php

This post was edited by missymoo23 on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 15:58

• renais1
    9 years ago

Of the choices listed in your post, missymoo23, I would use the first one from Tractor Supply. It is plain alfalfa without any added salt. The second one from TS has added salt which the plants won't appreciate. The Kaytee rabbit feed has lots of ingredients including salt added, which probably help to raise the price and are not wanted by plants.
    Renais

• missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
    9 years ago

Thanks Renais! The rabbit food has helped my roses but I'd rather get the cheaper, better stuff!

• chigardenlady
    9 years ago

I have rabbits mainly just for their additions to my compost. LOL! But I am finding much difficultly in finding organic rabbit pellets or alfalfa pellets. I am an organic gardener and have found out much alfalfa is GMO. I don't want anything GMO in my garden or my rabbits!

• renais1
    9 years ago

chigardenlady: You might want to see if there are any organic beef producers in your area. They may be using alfalfa for winter feed. In our area, there are a number of such producers; some grow their own hay, and some bring it in by the truckload. Farms that grow the organic hay here will sell it to you by the bale. A three- strand bale (80-90 pounds) costs $8-14 picked up at the field. Some people bring in whole semi-loads if they have lots of animals to feed; horse owners in our area fall into this group. You might be able to purchase a bale or two from such folks. Some of the horse owners are very particular about their hay, so they have it tested. If you get some of one of their lots, you might be well supplied. If necessary, you could mix a mineral supplement with the hay for the rabbits. I generally do not see organic alfalfa in our stores; one feed store will bring it in, but you need to get a whole truckload. I don't think I've ever seen organic pellets here, either. Also, unless you would be worried about even a small amount of GMO hay in a load, you might ask local farmers what they planted. It might very well be a non-GMO stock, just not certified organic.
    Renais

• renais1
    9 years ago

I just noticed that our Walmart sells organic alfalfa pellets in 50 pound bags. Once I saw that Walmart sold them, my curiosity was peaked, so I checked Amazon, and they offer organic pellets as well. The pellets are not cheap, but they are available if you want them. Also, a local feed store will chop a bale of hay for you if you need small pieces. They charge $9/bale; you get the finished product in big plastic bags. Either of these choices might work for you chigardenlady if you want the organic feed.
    Renais

• Carrie Beth (zone 9b)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The idea of the bale of hay is good. Is that an alfalfa bale of hay. I am a beginner at this. Thanks Is the bale organic?

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    8 years ago

I buy both alfalfa hay and straw, for different purposes. Hay has seed in it, straw should not. I thought this was a pretty solid explanation. Hay or Straw, whih is right for your vegetable garden? Some sheet composters (lasagna gardeners) use both as well, and may have more insights.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

OP, Just to be clear, nitrogen is a chemical and whether you get it from alfalfa pellets or from a Home Depot sack It is still a chemical. Perfectly OK to use either one to feed your fruit trees. hippie minded rhetoric has confused many into thinking that chemical = evil. No so.

• chigardenlady
    8 years ago

Synthetic vs organic is a huge difference.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

nitrogen is a BASIC element and what plants need/use. As such. Nitrogen doesn't "know" whether it was made naturally or synthetically. How it is made may vary but end result nitrogen, iis the SAME: nitrogen is nitrogen is nitrogen. But I am going to leave discussion b/c this is one of those circular discussions that goes nowhere between people that know chemistry vs people that don't. Finally, when you use alfalfa pellets, chemical reactions take place b4 plants benefit. We are chemistry, we are surrounded by chemistry. It's just that some people have their terms horribly confused and/or have been confused into believing chemistry/chemicals are inherently evil. Nite nite.

• spedigrees z4VT
    8 years ago

Bossyvossy, what are you doing on a forum for organic gardeners? There are other forums more suited to your philosophy where you would fit in better.

• chigardenlady
    8 years ago

I conquer.