Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renais1

A focus on the positive

renais1
9 years ago

We've seen lots of good discussion on this forum lately about methods of organic gardening, a fair bit focused on what is not being done or allowed. I thought it would be interesting to see the positive in what various folks are doing. I'll start with some of the things I'm most proud of on the positive side for my growing and cultivation:
1) I've been able to grow in a reasonably large greenhouse for 12 years without ever using a pesticide. All pest control is done by way of a few beneficial insect varieties, most of which I introduced just one time 11 years ago. Some of the beneficial insects such as syrphid flies have come in on their own, and I make them welcome with various plants to provide for their needs of pollen, breeding sites, etc.. All the produce in the greenhouse can be eaten right off the plant, with no concerns about any harmful materials pesticides ever having been used on them. At most, a quick water rinse is needed to remove dust or soil for things like carrots. Children love to be able to eat this fruit in a primal style; cancer survivors and those fighting cancer appreciate the product for its untarnished composition.
2) I have a major worm composting operation which is able to handle not only all of the plant debris I produce, but even able to handle outside waste stream inputs. I am happy to be able to reduce the amount of material going to the landfill, and that I send none of these materials to the landfill. Anyone who wants it gets a rubbermaid tub with an active worm colony so that they can spread the action.
3) Through significant soil and drainage conditioning I am able to reduce water runoff on our sloped areas, and improve native vegetation. We have seen a marked improvement in the local living environment both for us and the various animals and plants that live with us. Many of the modifications such as swales will long outlast us, and benefit future generations.
4) In both my work and personal life I've been able to encourage others to grow in what I see as the spirit of organic culture: nutritious food produced in harmony with nature with the least negative environmental impact. It is exciting to me to see others embrace this organic philosophy and change the way they do things.
So, what do you feel most proud about your contributions and actions?
Renais

Comments (9)

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Well, I am not a full-time grower so my impacts have been less.

I have been able to alter several small environments closer to what might be considered "food forests", or at least somewhat sustainable polycultures.

• Lloyd
    9 years ago

I find that the die hard, black versus white, zealous, pro-organic crowd tend to turn the average person off pursuing a more organic lifestyle. Convincing people to go "more organic" using simple, easy to accomplish methods and not beating them over the head for the occasional lapse to the dark side works better. Giving mature compost for gardens, convincing people to try a mulch in part of their garden or topdressing a lawn with 'post versus synthetics are all avenues people will readily try. If it works for them and they're happy they are more likely to continue. Small steps.

Getting the local town to divert their yard trimmings from the landfill was a huge step. It really helped to have an administration and council that was forward thinking and could think outside the box.

Lloyd

This post was edited by pt03 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 10:29

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

An article in an issue of our local paper, about "certified organic" egg production stated that the owners have two story factories with porches the chickens can go out on to get some fresh air. The layers are kept off pasture due to the fear of diseases and organic practices are such that the birds should be free range, which these are not but they still meet todays "organic" standards.
    As I have stated before the National Organic Standards are being weakened to accommodate agribusiness.

• renais1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The certified vs. free range egg business is one of the negative impacts of the current organic regulations. The current regulations make it very difficult to allow chickens to free range and still be produced in a certified organic manner. The prevention of wild bird interactions, and control and sanitation measures for the pastures really drive producers to either use the small porches as kimmsr describes, or to label their product as free range and not certified organic. There are other issues associated with the feed for the chickens which already make organic certified egg production a challenge. In my opinion, one of the foods which most reflect growing conditions are eggs. A good egg has such a rich color, and eggs produced in the right way have a measurable difference in their nutrient composition. I hope the US will move more toward checking the safety and quality of the eggs produced, and less toward the draconian regulations. The link below has an organic organization's take on this issue.
    Renais

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornucopia Institute

• renais1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As part of my professional life I've worked on mechanisms of spread, and controlling the transmission of avian flu from wild populations to humans. Many of our flu strains are passed from wild populations through intermediate contact with farm animals, especially in Asia. I thought it would be good to note that the USDA regulations related to wild bird and other animal control are well-founded science approaches. Avian flu can be spread from wild populations into waterfowl and domestic poultry. H5N1 is an example that has made the news in the last few years. An outbreak in the US could lead to a very significant number of deaths. We are lucky that many of the wild carriers live in Asian pathways, but there is plenty for the US to watch. The link notes the issues involved, and consequences if flu is not controlled. So, while totally free range poultry might sound like a fine idea, some testing of the finished product, or control of the surroundings is really a good idea. In this case, the certified organic porches do make it much easier to protect humans.
    Renais

Here is a link that might be useful: WHO

• Michael
    9 years ago

Good topic: as far as providing the N, P, and K for my veggies, I admit, I use the prilled stuff that is not considered organic. On the positive side I utilize it in a way that allows me to use less than many do. I use split applications through the drip tape, knowing exactly what my crops need and when they need it. Also, I manage my soil water status closely to minimize nutrients loss via leaching and mulch heavily during the growing season with wheat straw and lawn trimmings.

Organic Pest control is pretty easy I'm happy to say, don't crowd the rows any to allow for good air circulation, rotate crops, cover crop and Spinosad for the darned CPBs.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention, plant resistant varieties., make and incorporate all of the compost I can.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Wow Renais, I'm surprised how many haven't posted on the subject!!! Focusing on the positive is helping me to stay alive!!!

• Michael
    9 years ago

Oops, my jan 2 post is in the wrong thread, sorry :)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio