Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

GMO's in the Tanahk?

pnbrown
10 years ago

Since the 'GMO in the Bible' thread got pulled (even though we have been assured that any and all discussion topics are allowed here), I thought maybe we should explore whether the coming of GMO in our times was mentioned, or predicted, in the Tanahk.

Those here who have read all the books in the original ancient Hebrew should be in the best position to comment on this.

Comments (25)

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

Hey pnbrown buddy, the Tanak is just the Jewish way of saying Torah, Neviim, and Kituviim in one consolidated word. In gentile vernacular that amounts to the law, the prophets, and the writings, which = the Old Testament. Back where we started... ;). I guess we won't be having that discussion. Too bad the last one got pulled so soon, I put a lot of work into my last response. By hey, it was a good run! Better to be shot down in a blaze of glory than to slowly fade away. Flame on!

Like I said before, it is their house and their house rules. Now I know what the rules are. By the way, who assrured you anything goes? Not I.

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't get your feathers ruffled because someone else decided to do just as you did, please.

Did you really think I would start a thread like this without doing some research? Of course I know (more or less) what the Tanahk is.

So yes, maybe now you can answer my last point from the pulled thread (before this one is pulled) - do you think the OT predicted GMO technology? And why do you think this, since there are no words within it that address GMO technology?

See, my problem with this kind of thinking - and I'm not singling you out, mind you - is that deciding that words mean some other things, have some extra figurative meanings, words from old writings, for example, is that then those words can be used to justify whatever. In this case you may use them to justify your feeling that GMO technology is not so good (which feeling I also have, and so do many others, entirely without reading the OT), but in other cases people have used and do use their own or others interpretations of writings like the old and new testaments, the koran, and others, to justify lots of terrible actions.

So I categorically do not accept this notion of putting whatever spin one wants on words and passages pulled from various scriptures.

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

Actually I kinda knew you were baiting me. No worries, no ruffles here. I thought I answered your question on my final post of the previous thread. But in short, I think we diverge on the question of where the inspiration came from to the original author. Therefore it would be quite unlikely that we would see it through to the same conclusion. I will have to leave it at that in deference to the house rules you see...:)

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

I will however make comment to one of your other points. You are correct, one certainly should not run off on a crusade based on a fringe teaching of questionable interpretation, which is what my other posting was. I am sure i would even have some who i agree with on virtually every area of doctrine who would question my take on the posting i offered up. Not a major deal. As I said previously, there were other references in The Book which are stronger and of less questionable interpretation, but we did not last long enough for the conversation to evolve there. And again, my dislike and distrust of GMO is not limited to my religious belief system. There are additional reasons, but quite frankly there are others, such as yourself, who are much more eloquent in that arena. I guess I will nip away at the fringes where I can and let others do more of the heavy lifting.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

Just as this site owns the site, I also believe that the One who made this earth and all in this vast universe owns it....and He makes the rules. Many will perhaps resent or question that and that is their privilege.

I believe that the owner of this earth has had a plan from the beginning and knows the end. Certainly this colors my thinking and I see things in that perspective. Certainly I believe that He has hidden many things from the wise and has revealed them to babes.

Since mankind is unlocking more and more of the secrets of nature and the universe, this knowledge has made our lives much more comfortable and also a much more dangerous place to live. Some are concerned that tampering with genes and atoms might release some horrendous frankensteins and they could be right...I don't know.

Anyway He knows all things and will step in one of these days...that is basic and fundamental with me. In the meantime we should be good stewards of all things in our lives.

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

Well said Wayne.Happy New Year to you guys.

This post was edited by greenleaf_organic on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 3:58

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greenleaf, undoubtedly we don't agree as to the authorship of the OT (as apparently do not many rabbinical scholars, not to mention Jews pre-Christ). Nevertheless this could be a very interesting discussion, too bad it will be pulled.

We could continue via email or come over to Hot Topics forum and start it there.

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

Hey if you want to fire up a thread in ht that's cool. We can stir the waters over there for a while. Could get interesting.

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for pointing out what a Tanahk is. It seems that my brain is not yet filled to capacity, and there is still room in there for a few more words...

10 years ago

When I looked over Hot Topics, I found it to be mostly an unfriendly environment...caustic?..You bet.

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

Wayne you are so right. Lots of mocking going on there where this was picked up in the "Truthers" posting. Also a lot of genuine opinions disagreeing with mine which is fine, their prerogative. I think I will still check there to follow that thread to see if perchance someone would like to have a sincere discussion. I thought it got a little prickly over here sometimes, well Hot Topics is a regular briar patch! :)

• TheMasterGardener1
    10 years ago

Because this is the organic garden section,we are only allowed to discuss organic gardening.

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

And defend commercial big ag practices and gmo, which are inorganic. Right?

• TheMasterGardener1
    10 years ago

Nope.No more.

We can not defend them or talk 'bad' about them here.

Only organic gardening.

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 15:22

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We can't speak against GMO here? Methinks you are wrong.

It is the organic forum, guided by a holy spirit by definition opposed to the tampering with genes.

10 years ago

Is tampering with chromosomes ok? Like bananas and seedless watermelons.

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

master gardener- hey dude or dudette, I am not the one who blew the whistle and had a thread removed. Just speaking my mind here, scattering some good seeds around! (yes, they are non gmo seeds) :)

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

The question was asked: "Is tampering with chromosomes ok? Like bananas and seedless watermelons."

H.Kuska comment: If you are just referring to the production of sterile plants. This is observed as a natural phenomena in Nature, but there still appear to be negative consequences.

"The selective plant breeding that has brought us to this impasse is comparable to genetic engineering. Both change the genetic makeup of a plant, perhaps irreversibly. So the case of the banana gives ammunition to critics of genetic engineering and to their claim that much can go wrong when we tamper with plant genetics."

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0719-02.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: example of the banana

• TheMasterGardener1
    10 years ago

I am just saying the first thing that is described is- "This forum is meant for the discussion of organic gardening."

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

Oh, interesting. I thought you were tongue in cheek but you were serious. Well then, where are GMOs to be discussed? Hot topics only? I noticed you started a thread there.

• TheMasterGardener1
    10 years ago

Yeah. I think its best. I will no longer post on this topic.

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 0:34

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Praise be for small miracles.

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

The definition of organic gardening quote used so far does not contain the whole quote so leaves off the part about it being a philosophy: " Organic gardening is most easily defined as a philosophy that stresses the use of naturally occurring substances and friendly predators and avoiding man-made chemical fertilizers and pesticides. This is the philosophy which guides this forum."
    There is also a FAQ titled: "What is the correct definition of Organic Gardening?

What appears pertinent to the question of whether research that questions the safety of GMOs is appropriate here (particularly new research that is not yet common knowledge) is the following: "Organic Gardening - these people don't use anything in their garden that has any potentially harmful chemicals, preservatives, colorings, etc. in their gardening strategies. "
    Please notice the use of "potentially harmful" and the inclusion of "etc.".
    -------------------------------------------------

Do other forms of communication concerning organic gardening regard a discussion of GMOs as appropriate?

The magazine Organic Gardening (published by Rodale Press) contains the following:

Title: "The New GMOs: More Chemicals, More Dangerous"

http://www.organicgardening.com/living/new-gmos-more-chemicals-more-dangerous

• elisa_z5
    10 years ago

OMG Today is my birthday. Thank you, Pat, for some great laughs.

New Year's Resolution: take self less seriously

See you ALL over in HT!

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

Elisa now THAT was hilarious!