Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

Beneficial flowers question

I know most of you live where when the frosts come, your flowers go. But I'm in SoCal, where it hardly ever freezes and the pests remain.

So, now that all of my summer and fall attractors are no longer blooming, I'd like the beneficials to have something to feed on through the winter. The ladybugs are in full force and I even saw a lacewing about a week ago. I have no idea where this adult lacewing was feeding(maybe some pretty spent cilantro). I've got more cilantro growing but it won't flower until it gets warmer in mid spring.

The question: Are there any beneficial attractors that bloom in mild winters that I might find in starts at a local nursery. I see pansies and calendulas at the big box stores, but I don't ever recall seeing those on any list as being big time beneficials.

All suggestions are welcome but particularly for those that might attract minute pirate bugs, damsel bugs, assassin bugs, and big-eyed bugs.

Thanks.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 1:40

Comments (19)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Check this link ...

Here is a link that might be useful: attracting beneficials

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

Recently I observe them in my Vista CA garden on:
    Rose cultivar "Easy Going".
    Citrus (which also attract nasty things).
    Holly Leaf Cherry (CA native).
    Evergreen Huckleberry.
    Cleveland Sage.
    Greek Basil.

• renais1
    9 years ago

Chives and oregano both produce flowers continuously for me, and are favorites of the beneficials.
    Renais

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

What you want are plants that are native to your area of California. Check with nearby botanical gardens, your UC Cooperative Extension Service, there may even be a local nursery that does specialize in native plants. However, most nurseries (including the big box stores) are going to stock and sell what is popular, and that might even include invasive plant species.

Here is a link that might be useful: California native plants

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

In the greater San Diego area:
    Walter Andersen Nurseries has an interesting selection of natives.
    Las Pilitas should be avoided.
    Tree Of Life Nursery in south Orange County is the premier source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Of Life Nursery

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

Try tung Ho , it is cool season herb, it will attract ladybugs

http://www.agrohaitai.com/leafveg/tongho/tongho.htm

This post was edited by JCTsai on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 21:48

• renais1
    9 years ago

Three easy to start from seed plants that I find my beneficials like are borage, fennel and dill. They all bloom for an extended period of time, will reseed fairly easily, and the flowers are often covered with beneficials in my gardens. These plants also tolerate cooler days, and do not require much to maintain.
    Renais

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Jean001: Funny about that list on the late bloomers--- I have a fern leaf yarrow and it produced it's last flower stalk months ago and my lavender hasn't flowered since last spring.

Hermitian: Thanks for the suggestions. Are the beneficials you're noticing on your first post possibly because that's where the food is? I have tons of ladybugs on my peppers right now, but I'm sure it's because aphids are to be found. Yep. my citrus is a haven for both good and bad also. Also, thanks for the suggestion on W. Andersen's. I'm just wondering if they cater to more of the coastal natives than where I am-- Santee.

kimmsr: Ideally, yes. In the long haul, I should probably try to go the native route. But, I'm thinking the here and now. I was just looking for something I might find right NOW to give the ADULT lacewings something to feed on. Because their lifecycle is so quick and the adults aren't predatory, it'd be nice to have some nectar for them year round.

Renais1: thanks for the suggestions. Yep, borage is a great one. The bees love it! Tends to tucker out in the heat though. In the spring though, I love it. I've done dill, but I noticed it doesn't flower until it gets warm, and I'm looking for winter bloomers. Fennel, I've considered. But, I've read that it's a bad companion for damn near anything -- maybe I'll do just a planter of some. Does oregano flower right now?

JCTsai: I do a lot of stir frys, so thanks. Winter bloomer where you are?

Once again, thanks all.

Kevin

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

woohooman:
    Lavenders come in different species, hybrids, and cultivars. I have an "English" species that only blooms in Spring, whereas the "French" blooms several times per year.

Check the Walter Andersen nursery in Poway -- just a hop up the 67 and down Scripps-Poway Parkway for you.

I'm not sure why Ladybugs frequently visit my Hollyleaf Cherry. This plant is not bothered/attacked by any pest insects and yet the ladybugs hang out there. Maybe its just a comfy location.

I am an edible gardening zealot. I have some natives in my gardens but that's because they produce something of culinary interest. The other 200 plants in my yard come from afar.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Fennel is a summer bloomer for me. Haven't noticed any ill effects to other plants and wasps and other little pollinators absolutely love it. Oregano is another summer bloomer. But then I don't live in an area with a mild winter so I'm not sure if they would bloom during winter for you.

I wonder if you were to grow something in an undersized pot so that it gets rootbound and stressed if it would cause it to flower prematurely.

Rodney

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

woohooman has stated: "all of my summer and fall attractors are no longer blooming, I'd like the beneficials [beneficial insects, birds, etc.] to have something to feed on through the winter" -- in Santee, CA.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

"I see pansies and calendulas at the big box stores, but I don't ever recall seeing those on any list as being big time beneficials."

Calendula is an excellent attractant for insects as are many other open faced flowers. Pansies, primulas, wallflowers, hellebores, hazel catkins, fruit blossom and snapdragons also attract early nectar seekers in my neck of the woods, as do winter flowering shrubs like Lonicera fragrantissima, Daphne mezereum, Chaenomeles and Mahonia.

To attract birds don't be too quick to clear up dead seedheads. Dead stems will also provide cover for overwintering ladybugs and other beneficial insects.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Alyssum, which is kind of weedy but very easy to pull, is a stalwart here for feeding beneficials while the population of the bad boys builds up. Blooms year round, super easy.

• CathyCA SoCal
    9 years ago

They say that alyssum attracts the bagrada bug. I would not risk it.

This post was edited by cathyca on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 22:44

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

Kevin,

I am in Florida, Tung Ho is good for eyes too.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everybody for new replies.

Rodney: That's actually not a bad idea. I think that's what they do at the nurseries to get them to bloom in a 2" cell. Every time I buy some, they're incredibly rootbound.

Hermitian: Doh! I forgot about the one in Poway! Whenever i think Walter A's, I always think Pt. Loma. Also, thanks for clarifying that I want FLOWERS NOW. :)

Floral: Thanks so much. Actually, after I researched some more, calendulas were listed on some sites. Picked up a six pack today. Says they bloom in summer and fall. Hopefully, MY very mild winter here translates to the nursery tag's fall.

Hoovb: Alyssum's been a stalwart of mine for years until I read, like kathyc mentioned, that it's a haven for the bagrada bug.

Kathyc: Pulled all my allysum when i read that earlier in the year. Saw a few adults on my kale about that time. Went to squishing for the next couple weeks and haven't seen them since. I hope that's it for now, because i Have tons of broccoli, cauli, arugula, and bok choy planted. I'm glad i trusted the El Nino forecast earlier this year -- ottherwise I wasn't going to do so much this fall/winter. :)

JC: I saw that. That's why I asked if it blooms during the winter(cooler) months there.

Thanks again all.

Kevin

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

This may be of some help, Woohooman.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native plants of California

Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome kimmsr! That narrows it down ;)

I remember back in my school days that I live in what is called the "Chaparral Community." And on that website I was able to focus on said natives. There's 21 pages of plants and I'm just too novice to differentiate the ones that might help. Trees and large bushes would probably be out of the question with my limited space, but there are a few partially shady spots(full sun in summer) that I could plant something --- whether a ground cover, annual, or perennial, I'm just looking for things that will attract the good guys. The website focuses on attracting butterflies and birds... why would i want to attract even more butterflies to chew on my brassicas and nightshades??

Are you busy? Can I ask you a huge favor? Can you take a look at the plants and tell me what you think I might like? You don't have to be specific for each plant -- maybe a group of the listed plants like ANY yarrow or ANY sunflower or ANY buckwheat?

Thanks.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: las pilitas natives

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

For those of us who work with nurseries on a commercial basis, we abhor Las Pilitas. IMO it should be avoided. A more genuine source of information is at californianativeplants.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Of Life Nursery