Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamegirl_gw

Stinging Nettle Tea

mamegirl
18 years ago

I have a few questions about stinging nettle tea. Firstly, would it be an all purpose organic fertilizer? How should I go about making it.

Thanks,

Mame

Comments (7)

• captaincompostal
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Any herb, or "greens" material, can be made into an organic gardening tea simply by soaking it for at least 1-2 days in water.

All gardening teas made this way are mostly rich in nitrogen and many trace elements. Very little beneficial microbial activity in the mixture for soil building or plant fertilization.

Adding a few tblsp of molasses or any sugary product per 5 gallons of a gardening tea, helps increase beneficial microbial growth in the topsoil, at soil application time.

• mikkle
    18 years ago

I was wondering about this myself. I found a little on it on the net and in reading 'Gardening for Life' by Maria Thun. I've added a small sample below.
    From www.frenchgardening.com:
    In France, bodies of serious research exist supporting the various benefits of applying nettle tea to your plants. Much as is the case for kelp emulsion, nettle tea seems to stimulate the 'immune system' of plants, making them more resistant to insect and disease attacks. Perhaps this effect is due to no more than the fact that the plant is in a state of optimal and balanced nutrition. (More on the site)
    Liquid manures and herbal teas are complementary in BD. Make liquid manures by fermenting an assortment of herb plants jointly with fish or seaweed extracts. Make herbal teas from only one fermented herb plant. Many reasons necessitate using these fermented products. Biological and dynamic processes in the garden include soluble nutrients, aids plant growth and disease prevention, supports earthly and cosmic forces.

Liquid extracts also aid the microbial life in the soil, roots (rhizosphere) and leaves (phyllosphere). Liquid manure and herbal teas aid the phyllosphere as cover crops aid the rhizosphere. Beneficial microbes aid in competing against disease-causing microbes. Biological extract's foliage sprayed may cause an entire plant response called induced resistance.
    Uses from Thun: nettles can be used to counteract pests (larval and caterpillar infestation) and to stimulate growth. etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nettle tea

• peter_6
    18 years ago

Stinging nettle tea is an old-time fertilizer in England. It's rich in silica and said to be great for good-tasting tomatoes. I make it by soaking nettles for 15 days or so, till they stink like a stable. I sometimes wonder whether I have anaerobic decompoisition and, therefore, a bacteria killer i.e. bad news. Regards, Peter.

• robynlacy
    18 years ago

Is this the same stinging nettle tea that I drink for my allergies? (minus the stinking like a stable)

• nutrovita
    18 years ago

Nettle herb

Nettle is native to temperate regions of Europe and Asia. Nettle is now widely distributed throughout the world. Nettle is a member of the Urticaceae family, which includes as many as 500 species worldwide. Many species of Nettle are tropical. The stinging Nettle - Urtica dioica grows wild in nitrogen-rich soil. It grows abundantly in waste ground, hedgerows, ditches and gardens. Often considered a nuisance and weed it is important to the life cycle of many insects and holds great value as a "Natural Healer". Nettles have a long history of use in the home as a herbal remedy and nutritious addition to the diet.
    The Nettle has long been valued as a medicinal and nutritional treasure. Nettle is rich in chlorophyll, and a good source of beta carotene; vitamins A, C, and E; tannins; iron; calcium; phosphates; and various other minerals, especially silica. Nettle has astringent, expectorant, galactagogue milk producing, tonic, anti-inflammatory, hemostatic, and diuretic properties. The active ingredients of Nettle include water-soluble polysaccharides that stimulate the immune system, and large protein-sugar molecules known as lectins. The entire plant of Nettle may be used in various medicinal preparations.
    BENEFITS OF NETTLE
    Nettle has a long history of medical use. The Romans used to rub the leaves of Nettle on their bodies to restore circulation to limbs numbed by the winters. Nettle also contains vitamin C and iron, and increases the absorption of the latter. This makes it useful in cases of iron deficiency related illnesses according to research. Studies show that nettle is a circulatory stimulant, helps prevent haemorrhaging and can be used in treating nose bleeds. Nettle tea offers great relief to hayfever symptoms. This is probably due to the nettles antihistamine qualities. Nettle is also been known to mildly lower blood sugar levels.
    Nettle root blocks two enzymes, 5a-reductase, which makes the dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and aromatase enzyme, which makes estrogens. Studies showed that Nettle root extract was efficient in inhibiting these two enzymes.
    An infusion of the plant is very valuable in stemming internal bleeding. Nettle is also used to treat anaemia, excessive menstruation, hemorrhoids, arthritis, rheumatism and skin complaints, especially eczema. Externally, the plant is used to treat skin complaints, arthritic pain, gout, sciatica, neuralgia, hemorrhoids and hair problems.The fresh leaves of Nettle have been rubbed or beaten onto the skin in the treatment of rheumatism. This practice, called urtification, causes intense irritation to the skin as it is stung by the Nettle. The formic acid from the Nettle is believed to have a beneficial effect upon the rheumatic joints. For medicinal purposes, the plant is best harvested in May or June as it is coming into flower and dried for later use.
    Nettle leaf has recently become a popular treatment for allergies based on one preliminary study. Nettle leaf is highly nutritious, and in cooked form may be used as a general dietary supplement.

For More information --> Nettle Article

Nettle Product

Nettle Leaf 300 mg, 90 VCaps , Nettle Herb 100 Caps , Saw Palmetto Plus Nettle 50 Sftgls , Nettle Root Extract 250 mg, 90 VCaps , Horsetail-Nettle 390mg, 45 Caps , Nettle 100 Caps , Nettle & Pygeum with Pumpkin 60 Softgel , Nettle Leaf 300 mg, 50 VCaps , Nettle Leaf 100 Caps , Nettle Leaf 90 Caps , Nettle Leaf 2 FL Oz , Nettle Leaf Freeze-Dried 415 mg, 100 Caps , Nettle Leaf Tea 24 Bags , Nettle Leaves 450 mg, 100 Caps , Nettle Leaves 450 mg, 180 Caps , Nettle Power 30 Caps , Nettle Root 90 Caps , Nettle Root Extract 300 mg, 60 Caps , Nettle Root Power 60 Caps , Nettle-Quercetin 350 mg, 90 VCaps , Nettles Ariel 1 Oz , Nettles Leaf Alcohol Free 1 Oz , Organic Nettle Leaf Tea 30 Bags , Organic Nettle Leaves 450 mg, 100 Caps , Saw Palmetto Plus Nettle 100 Sftgls , Stinging Nettle Leaf 90 Caps

Here is a link that might be useful: nutrovita.com

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, nutrovita(?)

But I think you're violating board rules......

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

yeah... this guy has put his ads in a lot of forums... Spike used to catch them... the new management doesn't care, I guess. You'd THINK with all the paid advertisement, free advertisement would be frowned upon.