Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stockton Red Onions

Posted by sjb14 CA (USDA 10) (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 07 at 20:18

I've ordered organic Stockton Red seeds from Seeds of Change the past few years, but this year they're apparently unavailable.

A web search has been unsuccessful in turning up even conventional onion starts or seeds of this intermediate day length variety, which does very well in our climate, tastes great, and keeps pretty well.

Does anyone have any insight into why these seem suddenly to have disappeared?

Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stockton Red Onions

I did a quick search and found a cached webpage for Pompei Nursery in Oakley, CA, Sjb, it's linked below. I don't know if this is at all near you but I imagine that they ship. Their December page says that they still have onions but didn't ID them.

Stockton may be proprietary and these things are available by the decision of a single person or corporation. I'm still wondering what happened to the Amandine seed potatoes that were suddenly unavailable in 2007. I enjoyed growing them and am trying to think of a similar fingerling for replacement in 2008.

I hope Pompei can help you.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Pompei's November page

o
RE: Stockton Red Online

Sjb, Seeds of Change still have 'em in their online catalog. I haven't gotten the hardcopy in the mail yet. Maybe it was left out of one but not taken off the other?

S's digits

Here is a link that might be useful: S of C

o

Saw them in the Seed Savers Exchange calalog also.

o

I, too, am looking for red stockton seeds, i am in canada and can't receive transplants or grow seeds - season is too short. lockhart seeds in stockton, ca where i've been getting them from has decided to drop them because they can't make any money selling seed for $20/lb. !!! this is a great onion. i will check seed savers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here