Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Long Do Vegetable Seeds Last?

Posted by raspberryflyer 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 22, 06 at 22:59

The seed catalogs are pouring in now, but I still have seeds left from last year.

How many years can the following seeds last:

Corn

Beans

Lettuce

Cabbage

Bell Peppers

Tomatoes

Yellow Squash

Marigolds

Watermelon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Long Do Vegetable Seeds Last?

All of the seeds listed should still grow this year. I buy some of my seeds in bulk, at a savings in money of course and get several years uses from them. With parsnips and onions being the ones that last the least time.
Cabbage family and tomatoes last the longest.

o

That depends on how they are stored. Heat and humidity are death to all seeds so if they are stored in a cool dry environment they should be viable for a long time.

o

To follow up, as veggiecanner said, different seeds have different periods of viability, some being notoriously short-lived: and as kimmsr states, HOW they are stored, being the key word. Freezing, which MANY seed companies do over Winter), is (no doubt) the best method of storage. (Seems to me, I've heard that seeds have been found frozen in glacial ice, thawed, and germinated after MANY years.) A number of times in my life, when inquiring about buying corn seed late in the year, I've been told that they were "already put away in the freezer" (this by a local seed company in my state). I would have preferred not to hear it--makes me wonder how many years some of that seed has been frozen.

o

I have some seed that is up to five years old. When I'm done planting for the year, I vacume pack my seeds and store them in a seed box that I made and store in the basement, they receive no light whatsoever and stay cool.

o

So glad I found this site because I have a small boatload of OLD seeds that have been stored in my freezer, some since 2001. I'm pleased to learn that many of my seeds should still be viable, and I now have the courage to go ahead and plant them! Thanks to everyone here who has posted about their experiences. Great stuff!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here