Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Old pictures

User
16 years ago

My sister sent me cds of old pictures of the family. I thought these would be interesting. This one is my grandparents (on my dad's side) clothing store in Knoxville, Iowa in the 30's or 40's.

{{gwi:135593}}

The second is my mom (on the left) at work at Arnold and Billy Amicker's cafe in Shell Rock, Iowa January 1942.

{{gwi:135594}}

Comments (15)

• endorphinjunkie
    16 years ago

Cool! Love old pictures.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another picture, my grandfather's oil station (paternal) in 1946...

{{gwi:135595}}

• mawheel
    16 years ago

Wouldn't you love to sit on one of those stools and have a grilled cheese sandwich and chocolate milk shake? I know I would.

• Josh
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing these,Don. I loved studying the interiors...I can easily remember places just like them, some of which hung on in small southern towns thru the seventies. My son and I used to love exploring in old hardware shops especially...or variety stores where the button cards had yellowed with time. And then eating pie especially at the local family cafe. Gradually they were remodeled/modernized, then when McD's and W'Mart opened along the nearby interstate exits they became boarded up relics or, if lucky, shops selling antiques. If you still have friends living in the area, it might be interesting to find out what happened when to these buildings/businesses. josh

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Don, what wonderful pictures.
    I love the simplicity of stores and restaurants
    back then.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

Don,
    Thanks so much for sharing these pictures.
    I love old pics.
    Each time I look at them I see something different.

• dirtdiver
    16 years ago

That second makes me want to step back in time and sip a Green River float or something along those lines. Neat old pictures. Aren't you glad you've got them?

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Me 1970 home on leave...

{{gwi:135598}}

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My paternal great, Grandmother and Grandfather and my Grandfather on his knee...

{{gwi:135605}}

My paternal Great Grandmother...

{{gwi:135606}}

My maternal Great Grandmother (second from right) and her sisters and a cousin...

{{gwi:135612}}

• endorphinjunkie
    16 years ago

Now just why is that gentleman smiling and why is he sitting seperate from the ladies?

• Josh
    16 years ago

Hey, Don...were you "listing" to one side or was the house leaning in that photo...lol Loved the little boots on the little girl...and the bevy of beautiful sisters on the bench. How great to have all these photos of your ancestors. Hope they are all well identified...we sadly have some from DH's family with just "Emily and a friend" with no idea which one is Emily... or sometimes no id at all and no dates (even the approximate like "someime in early 1920's" would have been helpful. josh

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The polaroid was held at an angle. That one is an inspiration to me as I hope to see the 32 in. waist line again. How does Gandle do it?

There are two discs full of pictures and my mom had gone through and labeled each with names and dates. The backs of each are also on the discs and some pdf pages of the family history. My dad's sister did a lot of work tracking down relatives from long ago.

• Josh
    16 years ago

I had missed your note that they were on cd's. So great to have these treasures preserved and correctly labeled...kudos to your Aunt. And thanks again, Don for sharing. josh

• kathyjane
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful pics, Don!
    You are so blessed to have such family memories to treasure!
    Good shot---the one in uniform----had one of my hubby for years---same uniform, taken in '60, I believe.....
    KJ

• tisha_
    16 years ago

Those are so awesome!

I LOVE old family photos.

Sponsored
More Discussions