Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esteinberg_gw

I think we have a hawk

esteinberg
16 years ago

a Cooper's Hawk, I believe. Usually nests in deep woods. It's around the size of a large crow with a long tail. These pictures are lousy; taken thru glass on a typical over-cast Chicago day.

Second pic:

http://www.windycitybooks.com/garden/Hawk2.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:135701}}

Comments (10)

• Josh
    16 years ago

He looks so majestic. His body looks quite hefty and well nourished though I suppose partly that is the result of the feather fluffing for protection from cold. You're fortunate to have such a visitor...and the photo is good...thanks for sharing. josh

• mwoods
    16 years ago

Ellen,he/she is beautiful. Don't just love looking at them?

• esteinberg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've never seen one before, so I'm really excited! You have NO idea the thrills I get when I find beasties in my yard. My lot is only 75 x 180, and my house takes up a lot of the space, so when animals make it "home," or even visit en route to somewhere else, it's a real treat, especially since my suburb is built up, and I live across from a school.

Now I'm wondering if the owl and the hawk will be competing for the same food sources. If so, will one will force the other out? Guess I have to wait and see.

• lilod
    16 years ago

I think they can co-exist, as the hawk is a day-hunter and the owl is mostly nocturnal, they don't go after the same prey.
    As they are living in the suburbs, I wonder what their range is, food can't be as abundant there as it is here in the boondocks.

• pamven
    16 years ago

Coopers hawks have made a niche for themselves in urban areas. Lots of tasty sparrows and starlings. The one who claimed our neighborhood is so used to us that he/she will sit on the feeder hook outside my bedroom window and stare in at me and my cats. Its amazing how "small" a fat cat can make himself when he feels threatened.

• User
    16 years ago

We have one that likes to try to get the birds in the aviary. We have to watch and close the cover when he is around.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Could also be a sharp shinned hawk.
    And I suspect you don't have enough sparrows, bunnies and mousies to feed both....so Me hawk will have to troll other areas as well.
    Does the owl nest in your yard? or just eat your mice?
    Linda C

• esteinberg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, I don't think this was a Sharp skinned hawk because it was very large - bigger than a black crow, Linda. The owl just hunts here I think. I find "leftovers" occasionally. Didn't build a nest for it since the arborist who's also a birder showed me where the box would have to go and said I'd have to clean it. I don't do 25 ft. ladders. The raptor folk told me neither the hawk nor the owl would over-hunt a territory. I just hope they don't deplete us of our chipmunks or bunnies. I'm very fond of them.

• kathyjane
    16 years ago

Nice shot, Ellen.
    My daughter in Leesburg has one as a daily visitor, along with a Sharp-Shinned, which will actually feed on the ground while smaller birds raise Cain from the thicket!

• davidsonsfalconry
    15 years ago

yes this is a cooper's hawk

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions