Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tisha_

Singer Sewing Machine

tisha_
16 years ago

I've wanted one of these for a long time, mostly just for the decor factor. We finally found one that still had the sewing machine in it. Yay!

It's not in perfect condition, but it's got character.

This is before I treated it with Old English:

{{gwi:135863}}

And these are after:

{{gwi:135864}}

{{gwi:135865}}

And here's a closeup of the sewing machine itself:

{{gwi:135866}}

Oh, and does anyone have any idea what this is? It was just laying inside with the sewing machine:

{{gwi:135867}}

And one other thing. I found this at Hobby Lobby (half off) and it reminded me of something that my Grandma would have loved, so I had to get it. It's a total fake, not even wood... it's plaster painted to look like wood, but I think it's beautiful. I still haven't decided where to put it.

{{gwi:135868}}

Comments (9)

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

tisha,
    Congratulations on your wonderful find!
    I love these old machines.
    I think they have so much character.

Not exactly sure about the extra piece but it looks like it could be a knee lift.
    See if there is some place where the right knee would be when sewing.
    There may be a place for the round end to slip in.

When pushed against with the knee, it may lift the presser foot up and you're able to sew items turning them with your hands and not having to use a hand to raise the pressure foot.

This is usually used when quilting.

• tisha_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I really like them too. My mom has her Granny's, so I've always admired it.

Thanks for the tip on the mystery piece. I'll take a look when I get home.

• sheila
    16 years ago

Wonderful finds, Tisha. Old English did a great job, as did you finding this stuff.

Good job!

• Josh
    16 years ago

Tisha, how nicely it responded to your loving touch with Old English. I was afraid you were missing the drawers...I have an old carved drawer from a similar old machine which is perfect size to hold monthly bills and bank statements. Plus I've so often seen the base used to hold a piece of marble for a patio table. So nice to see one intact. Enjoyed hearing about the strange piece maybe being a knee lift for quilting...how ingenious! josh

• mwoods
    16 years ago

Tisha...which Old English product did you use? It looks just wonderful and is inspiring me to do something about an old table I have.

• tisha_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what it's called... it's not the spray can of just everyday wood duster. It's like an oily kind that's in a regular bottle that you kind of have to squeeze the stuff out of. It almost just looks like a stain or something really. But it's polish.

• lindac
    15 years ago

That extra piece for the sewing machine is a device that allows you to run the needle with your knee. I learned to so ( what little I did learn) on a machine with one of those controls.
    To run a sewing machine you either used a foot pedal or a knee thing. or for the treadle machines, your hand to start the wheel turning.
    I suspect you got a piece from an electric machine in with your treadle.
    Did you get a belt so you can run it?
    Linda C

• tisha_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope... no belt. :-(

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

That looks fabulous. I wish I could find one like that. I did find a pair of New Home Rotary machines (about $35 each), one had all of the attachments still in it so I mainly bought that one for the parts. The link below is a site I've used for parts for the Rotary, but it looks like they have replacement belts and belt hooks for the Singer treadles with instructions on how to install them and adjust it.

Dafy (Jen)

Here is a link that might be useful: Treadle Sewing Machine Belts

Sponsored
More Discussions