Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantphreak_ca

County Fairs

plantphreak_ca
16 years ago

I went to the fair and took some pictures. Anyone else been to the fair yet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Day at the Fair

Comments (8)

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Marilyn your fairs must be different from ours.
    We have the 4 H livestock and the rides but no garden features and stuff to buy.

I have to admit that I haven't been in years.
    The Mexicans flock to the fairs and things here and you
    can't get any where near the fairgrounds. Parking places
    are hard to come by any where near.
    We had our chance when our kids and grandkids were young,
    so turn about is fair play. The little kids enjoy them.

I always enjoyed seeing the exhibits from the school children and the livestock.

I loved your pictures. What is with the sheep wearing clothes?

• lilod
    16 years ago

Janis, I think this is a protective outfit, after the sheep are washed and groomed they have to stay nice and beautiful for the judging, that is one way to keep them that way.

• sheila
    16 years ago

Jan, it's a wolf...it's in sheep's clothing.

• lilod
    16 years ago

Sheila - verrry funny (from laugh-in)

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Sheila, what a hoot!
    Having never been around sheep much
    I didn't have a clue.
    Thanks Lilo, that does sound logical.

A wolf in sheep's clothing, tsk,tsk,tsk, Sheila.:0)

• Josh
    16 years ago

LOL Sheila! You know, I wondered if you could buy the sheep covering or have to make it yourself from a pattern? So strange to think that someone possibly makes their living sewing sheep covers. I do love GW...learn something new daily...josh

• calliope
    16 years ago

it's a wolf...it's in sheep's clothing.

OMG, Sheila. That is the first tea-spitting comment I've heard on this forum in a looooooooong time. Good one.

Yes, I think Lilo is right. There is big business in keeping animal coats pristeen for shows and fairs. Horses have protective coats as well. There is a horse farm down the road, and the owners put heavy coats on their show horses in cold weather. Not to keep them warm, but to keep the winter coat from growing in.

Even chickens get shampooed and blow dried for fairs. My DD used to make a little pocket money taking beauty shots of animals after their grooms, because if you put an animal out to stud, their pictures usually are in a portfolio and the prospective clients want to see them, along with a pedigree chart.

Most of the kids/families showing animals at 4-H have cleaner animals than themselves, as many sleep right in the stock trailors. LOL.

Our fair hasn't hit yet. Sometime this month, is all I know. MY DH used to go to the hog showings, to purchase winners for his company. Local support of kids who show is pretty good.As you might suspect, the livestock is my fav part of the fair, and I like the canning and veggie displays and quilting/sewing contests.

• beanmomma
    16 years ago

Nice photos.

We love going to the local fairs and festivals, although we haven't make it to any this year so far. The 4-H stalls with all the animals are one of the kids' favorites.

I like the agricultural displays. Neat rows of perfectly canned produce, mounds of tomatoes and vases of prize zinnias all just so hopeful.

We also really enjoy the fowl exhibits. Some of the roosters and pidgeon/doves are just so fantastic in their plumage.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions