Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wandaredhead

Beignet

wandaredhead
15 years ago

This is my sweetheart, Beignet.

Beignet is a 12-year-old Umbrella cockatoo.

He was originally owned by a family in New Orleans; hence, his name Beignet.

(When you hold him his white dander gets on your clothes and it looks like the powdered sugar that gets all over your clothes when you eat the famous French donuts in New Orleans---beignets.)

Beignet has an incredible vocabulary and he uses it at the appropriate times.

He also sings, imitates each dog we own or have owned, the cats, and makes the sounds of sirens.

(Click on the thumbnail for a larger view.)

Comments (11)

• mawheel
    15 years ago

What a beautiful bird; does he have "free reign" in your house?

• wandaredhead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Free reign"? LOL.
    Geez Louise, NNOOO!!
    I don't trust him out of my sight.

A couple months ago I walked into the sunroom and saw his cage was open - without him in it.

I gasped and under my breath said, "Oh, my gosh. Where's Beignet?"
    This sweet little 'innocent' voice from across the room said, "Pee-pie. Here he is."

This is how he had been entertaining himself after he picked the spring closure on his cage.
    He sat on the plant holder and chewed off about 7-8 inches of window facing.

(Click on pic for larger image.)

• lilod
    15 years ago

He has a presence - he also has his own ideas of what is ok to do, hasn't he?
    A beautiful bird!

• mawheel
    15 years ago

He's not only beautiful, but obviously very smart. Will you have to change the cage closure since he figured out how to open it?

• wandaredhead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mwheel,

Does this answer your question?
    LOL

(Click on pic for larger image.)

{{gwi:136098}}

He is VERY intelligent.
    He almost scares me at times the words he understands and repeats when appropriate.

I will try to video him and some of his antics if I can.
    He seems to 'clam up' when he sees the camera come out.

• sheila
    15 years ago

I have never wanted a parrot particularly...although I minded one for about six months and was beginning to grow fond of him.

However, Wanda, I could grow to like a bird that I could converse with and who was a beautiful as this one.

I was thinking the other day about pets. When my dogs are gone (youngest is five so hopefully a long time yet) I won't be getting more. High maintenance. Cats might get underfoot when I'm not so fast on my feet as I am now. Now a parrot...cage cleaning? Yes, but at waist height.

• wandaredhead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sheila,
    Yes, the larger the bird, the larger the p**p. LOL

They are a LOT of maintenance.
    The food scattered, the water always needing to be clean, the dander, cleaning their toys, cleaning cages and perches and feathers...

I had always heard what a mess monkeys were.
    Well, I have both.
    And, the parrots are a lot messier than the monkeys.

But, all in all, they are worth every bit of it.

As I have aged and Christian has gotten older and the grands have come along, the number of birds has gone down because I didn't feel I could give them the attention they needed.
    They all have completely different personalities, level of intelligence, noise levels, messiness levels, etc.

• mawheel
    15 years ago

That's a great solution! Better keep the key hidden -- or he may still get loose! :>)

• Janis_G
    15 years ago

Wanda, how good to see him again.
    He is a sweetheart.

Folks, I'm here to tell you that when you wake up in the morning at Wanda's, you sit straight up in bed and wonder how the heck you ended up in a jungle. :0)

• wandaredhead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have to tell one on Jan and Gillian.

They visited my home about three years ago.
    When they arrived, I was giving them the 'tour' of the critters.
    When we were walking around, this voice with lots of attitude said, "Well, heelllooo, baby."

Jan and Gillian slowly turned around to see what fresh guy was behind them.

It was, you guessed it, Beignet.

The look on their faces was priceless!!

• User
    15 years ago

Beautiful friend. We have friends that raise Moluccans, Blue and Golds, African Grays and Red heads. Step son has an Amazon that loves attention.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions