Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

The ancient tree I love

calliope
15 years ago

It's seen the first road in this township being built. It shaded the soldier who put down his tools and walked beneath it as he left to go to war, the civil war. It probably saw this house being built beneath its boughs decades before that. It has been home to owls and blacksnakes, kittens and chipmunks. It has been hit by lightening, and arsoned by children and still it lives, emitting delightful perfume in the spring from it's beautiful blossoms.

To judge the size of this trunk, that is my jeep parked immediately behind it. {{gwi:136317}}

Comments (7)

• oakleif
    15 years ago

What a tree. I'm speechless. When i see a tree that beautifully old, i feel a need to touch it a token of respect for a patriarch.
    I hope you don't mind. I made a copy of it and the description to keep.
    vickie

• lindajewell
    15 years ago

That's one beautiful tree Suzy. What a joy for you to be able to enjoy it's beauty in all seasons.

• mwoods
    15 years ago

few things in nature are as beautiful as old trees in my opinion and this one is just wonderful.

• User
    15 years ago

Biggest Gleditsia I have seen. Must be great to live close to an entity such as this.

• wandaredhead
    15 years ago

suzy,

I have so often wished some of my older items could talk.

I would love to sit under this tree and listen to the story of it's life.

• Josh
    15 years ago

Awesome tree and I really enjoyed your description of the history it has seen. I've always been intrigued with old trees...once worked for a large landowner in GA who had his trees surveyed. Thought you might be interested in this site re big trees...josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Tree Survey - Gleditsia

• calliope
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't gone that far with this one, because it is bedraggled from its fight with humans, time, and the elements. I didn't want to correct anyone, but this one is actually a black locust, or robinia species. They would be indistinguishable in a picture like this from a honey locust, or gleditisia. I contacted an dendrologist from a reputable arboretum and he said it may be one of the oldest in the state. It would, however, lose points for crown spread because of the branches not only felled in storms, but sawn off for the utility company to run power lines. I nearly had a conniption fit when the dh OK'd that one.

Of course it's hollow, and I can easily stand inside it, and maybe even have a tea party. LOL. The man who owned this farm before he sold this part of the property said a child who once lived in this house tried to burn it down. You can still see the char. I guess this is one reason I am in such awe of it, it has persisted through all these insults. I brought a Greenman plaque back from England with me once, and it sits inside the tree now, guarding it from mischief.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions