Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_gw

Pionoeer Clouds

sheila
15 years ago

As I said before in a previous post where I forgot to upload the image, this is the Pioneer now that's she's all gussied up. She was in the b.g. of one of the salvage images I posted a couple of weeks ago. She'll be in the water and off fishing in Alaska very soon.

Image link:

Comments (8)

• lindajewell
    15 years ago

AAAHHHH!!! isn't she pretty now! Big difference, before it did look like she was next to be dismantled now she looks almost brand new.
    thanks for showin' us what she looks like "all gussied up"

• mawheel
    15 years ago

Is this why boats are called "she"? Give' em a little paint and dressin' up and they're ready to go to town! :>)

• sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL - perhaps. It's a good story anyway. I must look up the reason for that.

• Josh
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sheila...great photo and love those clouds! Wondered how often the repainting is needed. Alaskan waters must be especially hard on boats and men from what I've seen on tv documentaries. Interesting to catch a glimpse of what goes into keeping the ships seaworthy. josh

• calliope
    15 years ago

Oh wow, isn't she just a dandy? I have a little holiday excursion I'd love to take, and it's on a sailing ship. I really want to feel what it would be like to skim through the waters with no engine noise. It would be the next best thing to flying on wings like a bird.

• sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Suzy, it's a wonderful experience that makes you feel very alive and very respectful of the sea. Make sure you go on a wooden ship if you can because part of the experience is about the noises. The ship will creak as she moves, the sails flap and slap, the ropes rub against the masts and the sound of the vessel cutting through the water is wonderful too.

However, to experience almost complete silence with just the sound of air rushing by take a glider flight. It's extraordinary.

• lindajewell
    15 years ago

Oh Sheila I agree about the glider, did that once and it was the best experience I ever had, one that truly gives you that feeling of flying like a bird!
    I have sailed on a Tall Ship once, tourist type 3 hour excursion, but it was amazing to watch the sails being "operated" by those cute guys in tight shorts! LOL!!

• lilod
    15 years ago

She certainly got all spruced up, looks very seaworthy.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions