Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Halloween

User
17 years ago

I have been working on the web for this year and have the framework up. Will be starting the spinning for the center tonight. I haven't put it up for two years due to lousy knees and the time on the ladders. It takes longer but I felt I needed to keep the tradition and there are a lot of new kids in the neighborhood that have not seen it.

{{gwi:137175}}

This is a link to webs from the past...

Web building.

Thes pics are our other decorations...

Our decorations.

This set of pics is of the neighbor two doors away that throw a decadant party every year, notice the limo to take people home that have imbibed a bit too much. Open bar, catered and dj till late but no complaints since the whole neighborhood is invited. I will put up one of my old webs at their house.

Neighbor's party.

More pics to come when I get the new web done, it is larger and more intricate this year so I hope it will be a winner.

Comments (14)

• mwoods
    17 years ago

Halloween just wouldn't be Halloween around here without seeing your webs. They always amaze me Don and I've never seen anything like them before. This one looks huge. Is it your biggest yet?

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The one in the pic above is from 3 yers ago and the last one I did from scatch. I have made some larger ones before that one. The one I am working on for this year is abaout the largest I have made. It will beabout 4 to 6ft. wider.

I have to get new masonry line to do the spinning part. the new brand I have is all nylon and does not knot properly. i also am going to look for a seat that attaches to the lader rungs for relief for my knees.

• Josh
    17 years ago

Absolutely fabulous! I'm sending link to my son whose most ambitious project as teenager was life sized man suspended from rope in pinetree which he could set to swinging just above trick-or-treaters' heads as they arrived. I never did get my yellow rubber kitchen gloves back...

The kids in your area are lucky...I'll bet you'd get "drive-bys" too if the word gets out. Your webs are really something special...josh

• mwoods
    17 years ago

You know if I were a kid and ran across one of these web's with a big fake spider in it at night, it would still scare the s**t out me. LOL Not everyone loves those little buggers like Di.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So far I have usd 300 ft. of 1/4 in. rope and 1500 ft. of masonry twine. I have not started the spinning for the circle part. There is a knot at each point where the strings cross so the one I am working on has 38 spokes and will have at least 70 circles. Works out to 2660 knots for the spinning part. That will eat up another 2000 ft. of masonry twine.

If you want the therapy and decide to make one take pictures.

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

I always put that big one with the spider up as my background picture. I love to look at it. The grandbrats think it super!

I always go out and look at our trees to see if any of them would be suitable. LOL....It ain't never going to happen, but I sure would like to do it!!
    Aggie

• calliope
    17 years ago

I have always been in awe watching spiders weave their webs. What artisans! To think a mere human did this? LOL. Super job, Don.

• leeslines
    17 years ago

Absolutely amazing !

Lee

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This years web, I had to rent a lift because of the bad knees and will be doing that from now on. It is so much easier and i can make it bigger. This one is about 4 ft. bigger in the center part.

{{gwi:137177}}

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bringing up last years post as the two webs pictured are the ones I saved and put up this year. We went to the party next door Saturday but only stayed an hour, more for the lively set.

• Josh
    16 years ago

This is my favorite Halloween "treat"... seeing your webs again. I can imagine kids from your neighorhood 50 years from now telling their grandkids about the wonderful webmaker. Thanks, Don, for the great photos but I know the webs must be even more awesome up close in reality. josh

• mwoods
    16 years ago

How beautiful they are. I have a teeny little iron web I bought somewhere and keep it in the tree all year long. Do you ever feel bad when it's time to take them down? I would drive my grandson a long way to see yours..they just are so great. By the way...hundreds of people with bad knees have tried and raved over castor oil applied directly to the knee. You can even get the unscented kind now. Mine comes and goes but when it gets to be really bad,I'm going try this before anything else.

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Don, I always look forward to seeing your hallowen decorations. Your webs are fantastic, a work of art.

• mawheel
    16 years ago

Don't know how I missed seeing your webs in previous years, but I'm really impressed! I agree with Josh about folks coming to see what you've created. There should be a traffic jam! Great work!

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions