Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tisha_

Family in the early 1960's

tisha_
16 years ago

My mom sent these photos to me not long ago. I think they're awesome.

Her cousin's wife (in the 2nd picture) passed away recently. Her son scanned and e-mailed the photos to my mom.

In the first one, my mom is the little brunette chunk sitting in my Granddaddy's lap. :-)

{{gwi:137315}}

And in the 2nd one, she's the little chunk in the middle. ;-) Suzie (the one who just passed away) is the one to her left. The one to her right is my Grandmomma.

{{gwi:137316}}

I love looking through old photos. I don't know if anyone will care to look at someone else's family, but I still wanted to share.

Comments (6)

• Josh
    16 years ago

Tisha, your Mom looks so much like her Mom it's uncanny...and if you were lucky you inherited their beauty. Those drapes in first pic I could swear I remember from that time, not mine but at a friends. Doesn't seem that long ago to me...LOL josh

• mwoods
    16 years ago

We love looking at photos and those are great. That's just what we all looked like in the 60s in Oklahoma..the hairstyles,clothes..all of it. Were these taken in Okla. or were they living in another state. You can post just as many pictures as you want. Your grandmother was a knock out..no two ways about it and I can almost see a little Cherokee there. Am I right or way off track?

• tisha_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think we have any Cherokee on that side of the family, but you never know. These pictures were taken in Carnegie, Okla.

The family has an interesting "family secret" story actually. It's like something straight out of a Lifetime movie or something. lol I just found out about it about 5 years ago.

My actual biological Grandmother (who I grew up knowing as my Greant Aunt) is the lady in the first picture who is standing up and kind of leaning in... she has a white dot on her shoulder (a button maybe?)

The woman I grew up knowing as "Grandmomma" is the woman sitting directly to her right. She's also the oldest woman in the 2nd photo.

Her husband, my "Granddaddy", is the man whose lap my mom is sitting on in the first photo. My mom's biological father is apparently still living somewhere in Texas, but no one has seen him since probably right around the time that the first photo was taken.

My Grandmomma and Granddaddy's only biological child is the boy sitting toward the middle of the first photo... in a short sleeved t-shirt. The old woman to his right is my Great Grandmother and the boy sitting on her knee is my mom's cousin. His wife is the young lady in the 2nd photo... the one who passed away just recently.

Funniest part? No one seems to remember who the other young man is in the first photo. He's not family, but he must have been important enough to someone to have over for Christmas dinner. I wonder who he is?

• mawheel
    16 years ago

I agree; your Mother and Grandmother were beauties! It's fun to look at old pictures, even though the early 1960's isn't that "old" for me! We have some from the early 1900's which I treasure.

• suzanne_il
    16 years ago

My family had those same draperies! Honest. I'll have to dig out the photo. I agree that most photos taken in the 50's would probably look exactly like this. The women in your family are lovely. And Suzie was a knockout. So sorry to hear she has passed. I think that Jack Nicholson had a similar "secret" in his family. His "older sister" was actually his mother and he didn't find out until he was older.

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Great family photos,Tisha, keep sharing.