Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_gw

The Snake & The Snail

sheila
15 years ago

CSI Port Townsend. See discussions for an explanation.

Image link:

Comments (11)

• mwoods
    15 years ago

What a great picture and story. That snake would have died if you hadn't helped him out. This summer when grandson was here working he called me over to look at a snake who had this huge old toad in his mouth. I picked up the snake and shook him until he dropped the toad who hopped into the woods. I kind of felt sorry for both of them. You sure have a good camera Sheila.

• oscarthecat
    15 years ago

great shot Sheila. Steve in Baltimore County.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

I don't think I understand. Was he trying to swallow the shell and it got stuck? Is that it? Surely the snail didn't attack him. Why is he bloody?

• kris_zone6
    15 years ago

Great picture!

• lilod
    15 years ago

Great adventure and picture - Robin, I think the snail was out of the shell and the snake tried to eat it, snail retreated, snake was hanging on and got stuck.
    I always say: "Greed overcomes caution" - this is proof! :)
    It is also proof that guardian angels are always around and no creature ever knows if it needs one, until it does.

• sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lilo, that was my scenario too. The snake caught the snail out of it's shell and then got dragged in as it retracted. I imagine a snail exerts quite a bit of power pulling itself back into its shell and no way was the snake probably going to let go of lunch.

Robin, I guessed he was bloody because his lower jaw is cut by the shell. Did you show it to LF? Boys usually like this kind of thing even though they say "yuck".

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

Kinda like the proverbial raccoon trying to grab a shiny penny in a trap. I just couldn't figure out why the shell was on his head to start with. Ok.

I haven't seen LF today other than getting him off to school. Later. Yes, I show him everything! I'll report back when he sees it. I'll just show him the picture and ask him what he thinks is going on; ought to be interesting.

• mawheel
    15 years ago

I mus confess I'm one of those people with a ridiculous fear of snakes. It's so bad I don't even like to look at pictures -- but I had to peek at this one, Sheila. Not for very long, mind you!!!

I know my phobia is stupid and baseless, but since it doesn't usually impact my daily life, I just live with it. I'm ashamed to say that snake would have been dead, if I'd had to save him. I wouldn't have killed him, I would have run the other way! Still, I'm very glad you were there to save him.

• petaloid
    15 years ago

What a fantastic photo! How fortunate you had your camera with you - what kind is it?

• sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Petal, this is a Nikon D40 - very nice camera and user friendly. I can point and shoot I can control aperture, focus etc.,

I try to carry it with me, just for shots like this.

• pothead49
    15 years ago

good close up,can any one tell me how to post a picture,im new to the forum ,and would like to show my potting shed to get new ideas on refurbishing mine this year,also if anyone has one they are proud of and can give me ideas on please reply,GOD BLESS YOU IN YOUR GARDENING THIS SUMMER

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions