Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

Water, water everywhere

anneliese_32
9 years ago

Had a valve give up yesterday evening in the downstairs half bath. Of course it happened while I was upstairs cooking supper. Afterwards I wanted to get to my computer downstairs and ended up ankle-deep in water.

Nice evening and after it was all shop-vac soaked up, I still sit on a wet carpet, have a van going, shiver and now move upstairs for the day, at least I got the quotes out.

Outside it is beautiful white, 5" of wet snow, in a couple of hours it will be all gone again, temp. aroiund 40 degr.

Comments (7)

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Anneliese, sorry to hear of your water problem. We don't have a shop-vac, so would be in big trouble, if we had a leak. Heck, the main cut off valve for our villa is at the front end of the house. That means one accesses the crawl space from the back yard, crouches or crawls at least 50 ' and finally gets to the main valve from the street. Someone didn't factor in 80 year old bodies doing that, I reckon!

Hope your carpet dries!

We had snow, too, but only about 3", but more is supposedly on the way by Sunday night.

Anyway, h

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

How perfectly awful! The things do happen without any warning signs, surprises of the wrong kind. Hope it all will get fixed soon, of course, it's a weekend, just to contribute to the difficulty.
    If ok with you, I'll do quotes through Wednesday (or longer, if needed)

• anneliese_32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm good, the computer did not get wet. Valve is fixed, had a problem on that spot once before and put cut-off valves on the other side of the wall next to the water heater. To the main cut-off I have to crawl under a staircase to the front outside wall. There are a lot of things not designed for elderly bodies.
    Got a valve and washer at the 8 AM opening of the store and and since I am the resident plumber, had it up and running by 9:30.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Good for you, Anneliese! You're obviously a 'can do' kind of woman!

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Oh my, sorry to see the troubles with water everywhere. It seems that you knew how to handle it. I don't know if I could.
    Congrats to you.
    ds had his apartment flooded and the management brought in a cleaning crew, they sopped out the water, put in five huge fans for 5 days and dried it out.
    Glad to see that your computer did not get wet.
    Thanks for the quotes.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

anneliese, your post prompted me to ask DH, where the main shut off valve is for our house(he handles these things), and it turns out that it is just 6' from the front door, out in the open and easy to get to.
    But here is the kicker, we had never used that valve, so it had rusted shut. It took a plumber two days to get it loose and replace it, I remember that.
    In this case, what I don't know, will hurt me. But thanks to you, I know now.

• janis_b
    9 years ago

I don't do yard work, plumbing, carpenter work, light bulb changes,
    clean gutters or anything that requires climbing on a ladder or crawling around on my hands and knees.
    I have discovered that if I get one foot off the ground, tilt my head back at any angle, My body starts swimming and I crash to the floor.
    I keep the local service company on speed dial.

Anneliese, kudos to you for being able to handle the water woes. You go girl!!!!
    Never in a million years did I think I would end up in these can;t do what I used to do shoes.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions