Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
23 January 2012

Posted by endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 8:04

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed. I have a friend who's always in a hurry; he never gets anywhere. Walking makes the world much bigger and thus more interesting. You have time to observe the details. The utopian technologists foresee a future for us in which distance is annihilated. To be everywhere at once is to be nowhere forever, if you ask me."

Edward Abbey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 23 January 2012

So right. If I had not walked, I would not have seen four bluebirds this morning. Bluebirds have become rare here and then to see them here in January, what are the odds?

o
RE: 23 January 2012

These days DH and I have three main modes of locomotion ( using Edward Abbey's term). We walk, ride our bikes and drive a car.
We drive the car so we can get from point a to b in a hurry. We ride our bikes for excercise and an overview of the neighborhood.
But walking is our favorite form of locomotion, especially in the spring, when we notice all the new growth. A bulb pushing up, a tree starting to bud and leaf, the mustard plants blooming. It's a new beginning and we see it close up and personal

o
RE: 23 January 20 12

On the other hand I'm just as excited about someone wanting to explore new beginnings in space as I'm in my neighborhood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here