Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

Thoughts to consider

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Do you recall the situation in the Chicago area many years ago when someone took Tylenol pills out of packages and substituted poisonous stuff. As a result manufacturers were forced into sealing all kinds of containers. Not just the pills and other stuff, but many things that might be compromised now have all kinds of "get Jim" type things on them. And, they work. Most of the time the missus has to open those things, otherwise I would use a sledge hammer or my hedge shears to get them opened! One person wrecked my simple life!
There were the folks who tried to smuggle some sort of who knows what onto an airplane. It was a liquid or gel or something, as a result, we all have to put all kinds of things in separate bags in our carry-on bag, in order to get through security at an airport.
That means, when I returned from my cruise, I could not carry on any booze that I might have found at a bargain price in the Caribbean. It had to be packed into my regular luggage, well wrapped in dirty clothes, but adding significantly to the weight of the bags. Just because some clowns out there tried to carry an incendiary device in the form of a gel or something onto an airplane.
Airlines used to allow 75 pounds on bags and now it is 50. And there are large surcharges for overweight bags along with the number of bags. Cabins had to be reconfigured to make room for the many pieces of "carry-on" bags, some of which used to be checked.
And that bozo with the bomb in his shoe...now everyone has to remove shoes at the airport. And, I even have to take off my belt! I will have to start wearing suspenders to keep my pants up since I lost some weight.
I had a complete hip replacement in August, 2005. That is good, for now I can walk like most people and do it without a cane. However, that metal hip means that it takes me as long as 5 minutes extra to get through the entire security process, because my body sets off the alarm and I cannot put my hip on the conveyor belt so that it can be scanned.

Comments (9)

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Good rant, Jim! My travel days are over so it doesn't affect me personally, except for the "security" of packaging, there are times I think it may take a stick of dynamite to open a bland, harmless container of something I want. Broken fingernails are always happening.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Jim, I, too, know exactly what you're 'talking' about. Like Lilo, my traveling days are mostly over, but the packaging fiasco drives me bonkers!! Nowadays, I imagine most people have a hard time opening stuff--no matter what their age or what it is. Small children at school trying to open a container of pudding or yogurt must get very frustrated--if they don't either spill it all over themselves or throw it away! Kind of defeats the purpose of healthy lunches, doesn't it?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Apply for a known traveler TSA number and skip some of the hassle.

"The TSA Pre⢠application program is one of four DHS Trusted Traveler programs. TSA Pre⢠allows low-risk travelers to experience expedited, more efficient security screening at participating U.S. airport checkpoints for domestic and international travel."

Here is a link that might be useful: tsa safe traveler information

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

The comment about packaging came at the right time, I had just a fight with a clamshell around 4 D-batteries.

While I don't travel much anymore, i don't have any problems since my port was removed, but my husband is another story, he has 2 hip replacements and an ellbow held together by metal.

My youngest son has a TSA number since he flies almost every week either in the US or to Canada, he says it helps, especially since he travels with computer and electronic equipment.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

TSA known traveler is the greatest thing since the wheel. Better than sliced bread. If one travels extensively.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had a problem in Tampa getting on the ship. Scanners were in use just like at the airport. I put all my things through the machine and I still made noise when I walked through their gateway. Please step this way for further screening. Complete wanding and nothing different EXCEPT in my shirt pocket. I removed my passport and he wanded it. Yup! That is what set off the machine!

The only time I fly is to go on a cruise. That is not worth the effort of getting the TSA thingy. I could quit cruising or I could drive to the port. Next one is Los Angeles, that's a long drive thank you! I could take Amtrak, but they too are getting into the screening game and it has become more than I prefer to accept.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Oh well. Just gotta take the bad with the good then! At least you can travel. Glad you can walk again!

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Jim, are you saying that your American passport triggered the scanner?

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup! We took the passport and put it on the table. He scanned it and it made noise! Never, ever has that happened before. If I were more insecure, I would take it personally!

Sponsored
More Discussions