Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Any revers to help rev me up?

rob333 (zone 7b)
15 years ago

I'm weary and worried about the next handful of months. With it, time will bring hard work at school with papers, reading, studying, and all the graduation activities which tax a person to within a quarter inch thin, much traveling to get to school in rush hour traffic, less time with my little buddy, harder work at the house down to the wire with the remodel, and money worries. Not to mention, my very understanding boss I'm about to irritate with being gone four hours early two days a week. He'll be ok, but not happy. I'm feeling the weight of my world and need to be revved up. It's the last push to reach the summit. Any revers out there? I could use a good kick in the rear :)

Comments (21)

• andie_rathbone
    15 years ago

Since the end is in sight, make yourself a countdown calendar. This is sort of a variation on taking things one day at a time - only this time every day you get up, you'll have one less day until you reach the finish line & it won't sem like an endless grag with no end in sight.

• andie_rathbone
    15 years ago

Whoops! make that an endless drag, not grag. I have to remember to spellcheck before I click on "post."

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

great minds, great minds. :) (((big big smile)))

{{gwi:138886}}

• mawheel
    15 years ago

Rob, you have such a great track record of accomplishments, you know you can do this! Everything doesn't have to be done at once, so just keep on keepin' on!

We're all pulling for you. ((((Hugs for you and LF))))

Ann

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea! Pulling for me and hugs go a long way. That's what I need.

Actually, I think I am bummed because I do have to have it all finished by the end of May. I don't get extra time because the house has to be done and sold, so LF and I can move out and the divorce can be finalized. And school can't wait. Tuition goes up massively next semester, so I can't afford it, and I can't afford to give back the money they'll be giving me in a couple of weeks. I have no outs on any of it.

I know I can do it, I just don't wanna.

• calliope
    15 years ago

When I first moved back to this area, my education was in all the 'wrong' things, and since I needed money I worked at a job I hated so badly that each morning, before I left for work, I was so upset I puked. That happened to the next job too......but I didn't have options, and the only light at the end of my tunnel wasn't visible yet. Had to just take it on faith, and know the bucked stopped there with two little ones depending on me. This was on the heels of a (pending) divorce, and a house sale and I was attending university (senior no less) and was faced with the prospect of an hour and a half commute daily in addition to work to just finish the quarter or have to withdraw and waste what time I did have invested for those courses. I had to withdraw. One prof begged me to just not come to class and show up at the final, knowing I'd pass it. I had to withdraw since I couldn't work and commute that far, and couldn't NOT work.

It was hideous. But, looking back doing it, sticking it out, and coming out the other side into the light eventually was so worth it. Looking back, it was the right path because it led me to more contentment than I've felt most of my adult life. Don't even think about tomorrow. Just address each day, one at a time. And tick it off the calendar.

• Josh
    15 years ago

I'll repeat the "one day at a time" mantra, but also urge that you be sure to eat properly and get proper rest. Hard sometimes I know. I admire your drive and determination...just imagine yourself following Suzie's footsteps...can't imagine a better mentor. josh

• calliope
    15 years ago

Oh Josh, I hope she doesn't follow them in some of the places they've taken me! I have always seen Robin as a person who knows just exactly where she wants to go, and isn't afraid of pointing her life in that direction and giving her all to get there. Nobody said, and I assume she knew for a long time it wasn't going to be easy, and I admire her greatly for not letting that get in her way. I totally agree with you that she needs to takes extra care with herself. You can't keep making withdrawals out of your stamina, without making a deposit now and again. I have every confidence she will look back someday at this point of her life and appreciate she did it the way she did. She will be successful, no matter how she interprets that word, just because she refuses to be anything less than that.

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

Robin, no advice here. JUST GO FOR IT! You know you can do it, you've already proven that you can do it, just do it again. And if it's truly too hard, and only you will know, put it on hiatus for a little while until you get your strength back. YOU WILL DO IT. Many cyber-hugs to you. Now swat yourself on the butt and get going. And stop when you need to. We are all cheering you on, for doing the things some of us wish we could have done and declined for some reason or another.

• kris_zone6
    15 years ago

We all know you can do it. You have come so far and the end is in sight. We are all here to help you.

• lilod
    15 years ago

Robin, you and all of us know you can do it!
    So much on your plate, but you shall whittle it down. It seems some extra stuff sneaked in while you were not looking, but nothing you can't handle.
    Just set your priorities and then do what you can, and you will do it.
    Your cheering section is there with you! Go, girl, go!

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

Now you know that we know you can do it!

Meanwhile, just take a deep breath and look at what needs to be done now -- right now, just in the next hour. When that hour is past, you know you have accomplished something, even it was as un-noticeable as doing the dusting.

I would suggest using an appointment book, the sort with 15-minute blocks. Sit down with it and block out time for LF and time for yourself. Schedule the things that have to be scheduled such as the classes and library time and time to write the reports; doctor/dentist appointments; grocery shopping and time for cooking & eating dinner; squeeze in time for laundry and vacuuming and light housework. As long as you have classes, heavy housework can wait. Don't forget to allow the time required for driving, whether to class or to the store... driving time to and fro is part of the appointment.

I suppose it seems weird to think of living by appointments, but when one is being three or four people all at once (mom, student, outside job, housekeeper, etc), written appointments help keep the various tasks consecutive instead of overlapping, which means you do each one without worrying that you should be doing something else.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All right then! Aw, yall made me cry, you're so sweet. Thanks for the cheers and water, guess I can make that last 6 miles and 385 yards now. Second (maybe the 50th!) wind here I come!!!!!!

• don_socal
    15 years ago

Hi Rob,

Take a bit of time each day to center and recover. Have LF join you for maybe half an hr. and do some sort of meditation or what ever works for you. Yoga, Tai chi, navel gazing or something to let the mind rest. Pisces need this and it can be quality time together with the good guy in your life. Then give it all you got.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don, I had to smile. You're a peach babe.

Ever ignore your universe talking to you? Well, that's what I've been doing. Meldy told me a year ago to get LF to do yoga. He's been doing it all this past year (ironically the school offered it and he accepted all on his own. I thought it was Karma then) and trying to get me to do it. Remember I said I'd try yoga when I quit sleeping? I found the tapes and asked LF if he wanted to do it with me. I got the tv area set up, rearranged the living room to make room and yet... I'm still not doing it. He keeps asking, I keep hearing yall say it, but I am still ignoring it. Time to pay attention! All right, all right, I'll do it. LF and I will get up a half hour ealier and do it then. I pledge it. (This actually fixes another problem we have, leftover from when Ed would get LF ready in the morning; he's still apprehensive about how it's going to go although he and I have much a better time than he did with Ed.) A new focus a new way to set the boy on course. And me. All right, I am listening!

• Janis_G
    15 years ago

Robin, the way I see it you are smack dab in the middle of THREE major happenings in your life.

1. Remodeling
    2. Back to school
    3. Divorce

Any one of those things would be hard but you are doing all three.

Advice: One day at a time
    Don't let bad things or people rent space in your head
    Don't borrow trouble
    Remember the things that really matter

You're going to make it, honey, you are a woman of substance!

• sheila
    15 years ago

Robin, lots of good words and good thoughts coming your way in this thread.

For me the most important thing you've shared is that LF is doing yoga and he would like you to do it too. You have a hard row to hoe, no doubt of that. LF does too in his turned upside down world. Yoga together has two winners :) When he looks back on his life some day it will be doing yoga with his Mom that will have stuck with him.

I look forward to hearing how those sessions go :)

Hang on Snoopy.

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

Robin, you'll do it. It's in your nature. You've had lots of good suggestions from these people who know you so well. I love the thought of you and LF doing yoga together. Excellent.

There is one thing that I know can help you get through each day and that is laughter. It heals, it sustains and it certainly relieves stress. I have a suggestion. Each day take just five minutes... five minutes and find things to laugh at. An easy thing to do is go to you tube and look up funny animals or kids. There is a wealth of laughing material there. I suggest you do this with LF, perhaps before bedtime. Nothing like laughing yourself tired and going to bed with a smile on your face. Also, it's five extra minutes you can spend with him that is guaranteed to be special. I often keep things to show Christy that will make her laugh and show them to her in the evening before she goes to bed. Laughing is good medicine for the soul.

Here is a link to help you get started. It's from a friend on a bulldog forum who owns a pet food shop in Canada. This is at home, but you can hear what the door sounds like opening and such. Below I'll post a few comments he made about his buddy Keya.

Paul said : I didn't realize birds can be so affectionate, he will lay on my chest while I'm watching TV put his beak down and go to sleep. I still have to get a video of him teasing dogs at the store. When a dog comes in he will say "hello puppy, come here, it's ok you can come here" when the dog comes to his cage he barks at them or whines He put his beak up to a Boxer's nose then said "peeka boo" I have had customers and sales reps laugh themselves to tears, he has been great to have around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keya

• sheila
    15 years ago

If you want a really good laugh, check out Jib Jab ~ it's hilarious. I just now found it on utube.

• sheila
    15 years ago

What a character that bird is! And what an amazing repertoire. Definitely would keep you smiling, at least until he drove you crazy. I was particularly taken with his bathing, a very thorough job of it:)

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

LOl.. yeah the bathing vid is pretty funny too. Paul said he got him a bigger bowl to bathe in but he seems to prefer the small one. I love how he jumps in with both feet, scrapes them around then hops out. He doesn't talk all the time. He seems to do it to get attention, which I suppose could drive you batty too. lol..

Sheila Jib Jab is pretty funny. I've seen it mostly at Christmas when people do the elf yourself stuff. They had some great ones this year. hmm.. let me see if I can find the one I did of my animals. Btw, the grouchy looking grey cat is Spot. He hates to have his picture taken, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Animals

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area
More Discussions