Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pardon me while I gripe a little

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 15:38

I am sure that most of you have had those times when you just can't belive that it's happening to you.

Well, I just had one of those! Then I got to thinking that if someone had warned me years ago, it would never have happened. Sooooo, I am warning you, just in case!

Cemetery Lots! Do you have an old family plot that you think you might have to use one day? Better check on it. It might not be what you think.

The aunt that raised me, left me her cemetery lot in her will, with what I thought was three unused spaces. I was cleaning out old files and realized that I had managed to lose any paperwork about the site. So we went to the cemetery office to get something on paper. HA!

She died in 1982 at the age of 92. When they finally found the file, it looked as if it contained every owner since time began......except me. She was the last owner and he needed her signature for the transfer.

The problem, I think, was that the cemetery had been sold several times....the last, just five years ago, and old records were in terrible shape.

He finally found a paper that said I had bought "something" in 1982. What? he couldn't tell. However, for a small fee, I could get it all straightened out IF I were the only heir.

I sure am glad that we didn't wait until we needed a spot to rest our weary heads. After looking around, we decided that cremation and a spot on our church grounds was more appealing.

And there were only TWO, not three unused spaces. hmmmm?

So, if you need to check on something like this.....do it now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pardon me while I gripe a little

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 18:11

Agnes, we have a "tiered" --2 in one space--plot that we've owned since the early 60s. Once over the years, I checked to make sure they still had our paper work on file. I was told they did, so we figured all was O.K., but that was several years, ago, so I should recheck. When we retired, we moved around 75 miles away, and aren't sure we still want to be buried in that area, but I understand it's difficult to sell cemetery plots, plus we thought "just in case" they'd ever be needed by any family member, we'd hang on to them. Like you, we also have decided on cremation, but haven't done anything about making plans, other than having our kids know what we want. My main thing to do, this year, is to make a decision and pre-pay for whatever we decide on. Of course, first, we have to decide!

I'm glad for you that you got it worked out--sort of. :>)

o

Funerals and cemeteries, not my choice. Cheep cremation or simple green back to the soil for me. Donator so that may take care of it too. Still to work out details. Some one throw a party.

o

I'm still on the fence about what I want done. It's so amazing to know how many generations of my family are pretty much in one cemetary. Both my mother's and my father's families, no less. I always wanted to be buried in Murfreesboro since I have spent so many happy years there, but I also have in Nashville. Nashville is home to my family. So will I choose it? Probably. But now, cremation is sounding good. Besides which, cemetaries are for the living. That is, when someone wants to visit all of the family plots, it'd be easier. I just don't know how to decide.

I sure like the party idea!

o

I( am with Don! If it were legal, I'd have a Buzzard funeral

o

I agree with Rob that " Besides which, cemetaries are for the living."
Our children have said that they would like to have a place to "visit", so our small American family((I'm the first generation) will be in the same cemetary. Our extented family is buried somewhere around the globe, and we have a family historian that keeps track of all of us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here