Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've certainly had worse ear worms

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 15:52

Friday night the drama club at the high school put on 2 one act plays. There was a 15 minute break between plays and a pianist played both before the plays and between them.

Before he played a couple of Beatles tunes and a couple I didn't know the name of but they were pleasant.

The plays were good but what we really remember was the unlikely group with Fur Elise.

Between plays he began playing "Fur Elise", I have always loved this but after a few bars a girl came out beside the piano with a flute. I kind of groaned inwardly thought it would probably be slaughtered then after a few bars with them together a boy with an oboe began playing with them and a few bars later a girl with a guitar joined in. About as unlikely bunch for Fur Elise as you could imagine.

But we and the audience were absolutely enchanted the music was beautiful. The girl with the flute was definetly the lead with all others accompanyment.

The group of instrument sounds unlikely but it was wonderful..Mr. Beethoven would have loved it too.

Wonder who Elise was? Now I'm still hearing that music constantly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've certainly had worse ear worms

Elise, I believe, is German for niece.

o

Michael, may I correct you, Elise is a name, niece is "Nichte"
Fur - actually the u has a couple of dots on just means for
So the piece was written for a girl or woman named Elise

o

I guess someone told me wrong.

o

Since I got nosey too, I checked a couple of dissertataions on that subject on the German internet. Nobody seems to know. Several women in Beethoven's circle of friends and family had names which could have been changed to Elise, a very fashionable name at that time, but there is no proof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here