Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mawheel

"Lincoln" movie

mawheel
11 years ago

DH and I saw "Lincoln", last week. We were so impressed by everything about it. I didn't remember it being mentioned on GP, so did a search. There's a thread about it in Hot Topics from early Nov., which gives many perspectives-- which are informative and POLITE!

Comments (8)

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I have not seen the movie, but I've seen that it is very popular, and your endorsement makes me want to see ir,

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

I wanted to see it over Christmas with my dad and the rest of the family, but we had heard the language was inappropriate (and not accurate for the times!) so we didn't. I would like to see it though.

• mawheel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, Lisa, your response surprised me! I don't remember too much inappropriate language--esp. in light of what's in most movies, today.

It's interesting how things are interpreted by different people. DH and I thought and commented on the fact that the language was so strong and colorful without any-- or much-- cursing being used. The descriptive name calling by one Congress person to another was truly an example of the power of words, we thought. The "putdowns" were better than any curse words!

I agree that it's not a movie for children, but I think it should be required viewing in any American History class.

I think it will sweep the Oscars in almost all categories; it's that good. If you do see it, please share your opinion.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Lisa, you aren't under the impression that people of that time never used bawdy language or did their share of powerful cursing, are you? I haven't seen the movie yet, but can't imagine that there would be anything not in keeping with the times. It was, according to what I've read and interviews I've seen, a meticulously crafted project.

Can't wait to see it.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

No, I am well aware there was cursing :) Different words though. I think the big problem may have been a concern about how much there might have been. I certainly didn't want to sit next to my father if words were flying left and right!

I do want to see it and will. I'll let you know what I think.

I attached an article I found about it.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Lincoln

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I don't like certain language, violence, gratues sex among other things in movies, so I stopped going to the movies a very long time ago. We rent videos, where we have control over our viewing.

Our DS luvs the movies and have seen most of the new ones.
    Years ago, I appointed him my movie filter. Lol, he knows what I like.
    He saw "Lincoln", and he highly recommended that I see it. He would not have recommended it if there was any type of language that I would object to.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

Now, a word about the language.

does it matter if Lincoln and friends really used those words?

Did the script writers feel that to be historically correct, they had to include some that they know might meet with objection?

Is the movie better because of "those" words?

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

A small OT away from the topic of Lincoln. Most of what we work with here in GP, are words. Words are important.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions