Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posieh_gw

46 degrees Below Zero

posieh
13 years ago

You may send sympathy cards if your wish. We have 59 inches of snow and now we hit 46 deg. below zero last night. Has gotten up to about 12 below during the day. We are warm, but the gas man loves having us to call more often. We haven't been this cold for several years. It is of course very dangerous. You do not want to venture out without your cell phone and others knowing where, when and why you are going somewhere. I've had computer problems for a week, just installed a new browser, so hope that solves the problem. This is real hot chocolate weather!

Comments (16)

• lilod
    13 years ago

I can't imagine that! So cold! You are right, it is not safe to go anywhere. Please stay as warm as you can, have hot chocolate and hot soup and hibernate!

• mawheel
    13 years ago

Good Grief, posieh! I don't know exactly where "Zone 3" is, but think I'll wait till Summer to visit! Stay safe and as warm as possible.

You need some of Meldy's 16 Bean Soup!

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, that is serious cold and snow. I can't imagine what I would do in that kind of climate. Keep safe.

• sheila
    13 years ago

I cannot imagine what it must feel like to attempt to go outdoors in temps like that. Someone needs to invent a little sort of cone thing that is filled with warm air when you put it over you - head to toe!

• Pidge
    13 years ago

Oh geez, I just heard this on the news. I can't even imagine it--we are ar around 20+ and that's a 60 degree difference. One can't even breathe in such weather. Stay safe.

• User
    13 years ago

Ouch!! I used to dress like Ralphie's little brother to deliver the morning paper in Iowa. It did say -40 on one of my customers outside thermometer one morning at 4:30 AM. The weather report says -19 still the scarf around my face was completely iced up from my breath. I was 12 then.

Here is a link that might be useful: Des Moines Weather In March

• dirtdiver
    13 years ago

And here I was, thinking our 9F was cold. Yikes.

• lindac
    13 years ago

You've got to be in or very near International falls.

I've lived in Iowa for a little more than 50 years, and the coldest I have ever known it to be was minus 32...in Sioux City....and, of course I was there!!
    It's warming up here....supposed to be in the teens...above...tomorrow.

• mwoods
    13 years ago

It's hard breathing in weather that cold when you are outside..no matter what age you are. I sure hope it warms up a little before too long. The coldest I can remember was also in Iowa in the 60s. We had a party on a night when it went to 20 below,or something close to that. We just put the ice cube trays out the front door and had ice very quickly. When someone came in from the outside,there was fog all over the room..almost like the effect you get with dry ice. I can't imagine a whole winter with temps like that.

• tibs
    13 years ago

It is 7 hear, but very sunny. The outdoor cat doesn't mind, she finds a spot out of the wind and in the sun and snoozes. I cannot believe what I see people wearing, or not wearing outside. Long shorts. Flip flops. Are tney nuts? Or just have a higher tolerance to cold than i do? They say, Oh, I am just running to the store, not ouside long. But if they have an accident and have to wait for any period of time.....

• petaloid
    13 years ago

That's waaaay too cold for me -- I hope your area warms up soon. (Where in the world are you, the north pole?)

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

Ah, that weather is perfect to replicate George and Leone's soap bubble experiment...

• petaloid
    13 years ago

I got this bit of humor in an e-mail:

COLD IS A RELATIVE THING....

65 above zero:
    Floridians turn on the heat.
    People in Minnesota plant gardens.

60 above zero:
    Californians shiver uncontrollably.
    People in Minnesota sunbathe.

50 above zero:
    Italian & English cars won't start.
    People in Minnesota drive with the windows down.

40 above zero:
    Georgians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.
    People in Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.

35 above zero:
    New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
    People in Minnesota have the last cookout before it gets cold.

20 above Zero
    People in Arizona all die.
    Minnesotans close the windows.

Zero:
    Californians fly away to Mexico.
    People in Minnesota get out their winter coats.

10 below zero:
    Hollywood disintegrates.
    The Girl Scouts in Minnesota are selling cookies door to door.

20 below zero:
    Washington DC runs out of hot air.
    People in Minnesota let the dogs sleep indoors.

30 below zero:
    Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
    Minnesotans get upset because they can't start the Snowmobile.

40 below zero:
    ALL atomic motion stops.
    People in Minnesota start saying...
    "Cold enough fer ya? "

50 below zero:
    Hell freezes over.
    Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late.

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

There we thought we had it cold when we had a windchill of -8 yesterday morning. I had heard about your weather on the news and told my husband that we had balmy weather, he did not believe me until I told him about your temps. Stay inside as much as you can and I hope it gets warmer soon.

• posieh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, glad you're thinking of me! This morn it was only about 25 below at 9 a.m. Our little Poodle is the fastest "pee-er" you've ever seen. She is out and in, almost non-stop! We usually get a few days that are 20 below or lower but this is not too unusual. Yup, not too far from International Falls. One year I remember it was 57 degrees below. If I remember correctly there was NO school that day! That's when nothing starts! Of course we all have head-bolt heaters on our cars so they will start. And now we have the auto-starts. But at 57 below even the fuel oil was too thick to run and lots of homes were without heat unless they had a wood stove back up. petaloid.....love that "poem". I will pass it on to some friends. Think I'll go have a hot-brandy and maybe throw a cup of boiling water outside just to see what happens!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

I'd heard -46 on the news and I thought, in the US?! I couldn't believe it. Stay warm!!!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions