Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally, some good boiling beef.

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 17:12

We really stocked up. Specialty meat market in North Platte buys swinging beef by the half and cuts there own after aging it. Its not aged like they do fine steaks but has some age on it.

The boiling beef all has the bone in it and we bought 12 pounds of beef shanks and a bunch of 7 bone roasts which can be turned into boiling beef or pot roasted. It is all local grass fed beef NOT from feed lots where they feed the animals unmentionable things just to get weight on them.

Yes, the price was perhaps one and a half times what we would pay in a supermarket but have had a couple of meaty shanks boiling for almost 2 hours and the aroma is wonderful.

It is getting almost impossible to buy beef on the bone anymore from a supermarket, everything is shipped in from who knows where and it is cheaper to ship without the bones. We even bought 6 pounds of beef bones which he cut up in 2 inch chunks for us.

Looking forward to lots of beef and noodles, pot roasts, beef stew and just plain boiled beef with lots of horseradish

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally, some good boiling beef.

Funny,I was just talking to someone today about New England boiled dinner and thinking how good that sounded to me. Sometimes you just have to have a good hunk of beef,no two ways about it.

o

The beef with horseradish sounds good to me and I would not say no to the New England Boiled Dinner either, even in the middle of the night.

Anneliese

o

A pot roast first. You're right, it's got to have the bone in, for best flavor although if bones aren't available pouring cup strong black coffee over the roast at the beginning does wonders. The next day, leftover bits get chopped fine, mixed with chopped onion and a tiny bit of shredded potato with enough peppery gravy to hold it together; and tucked into a pastie. It won't be nearly as good as Gandle's, but I guess I'll have to do a roast tomorrow.

o

Oh thank God I am in a beef-raising county and there are little local abattoirs. Several of them show up at Farmer's Market on Saturdays, but in wintertime...you gotta drive there.

Your post got me to drooling. There is a richness to meat simmered with the bones in, and it comes from the marrowfat of the bone. I used to be able to identify how good a cut of meat was at a market by looking at the slice of bone in it. Now, if one goes to a supermarket, the evidence has been surgically removed! When I get the creatively cut roasts home I ask my dh the butcher and often as not, the store meat cutters have hedged a little moving down the muscles to include parts they shouldn't and leaving out parts they should have included.

He just got back from a visit with his 80 something year old uncle who also worked many years in the family abattoir. They both tilt over sideways in the same direction and they have come to the conclusion it was from decades of hoisting halves of beef carcasses over one shoulder in the days before cryovac and primal cuts.

Enjoy your booty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here