Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickled Eggs

Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 18:52

I am enjoying a dish of pickled beets, eggs and onions. I don't make this too much because dh doesn't eat them. I usually get them at family get togethers. So I had to look up a recipe. I was amazed to not find it in my 13th edition of Fanny Farmer. So I went on line. I was further amazed to see that not all pickled eggs are purple, i.e., they do not involve beets. Sacrilage! They must be purple and vinegery. I like to pickle onions with them. There has been a minor revolt at the independent living facility where my mother is over the pickled eggs. As she ststed it: "They're not pickled, they're just pink. They didn't use vineger! Are pickled beets and eggs a German heritage thing? So how do you like your pickled eggs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickled Eggs

The fact that I'm more familiar with eggs pickled in beet brine leads me to believe that it is very much a German heritage thing... Pickled eggs absolutely should be very pink, and very vinegary.

o

If they 'ain't' in vinegar, then they're not pickled, are they? It's a very common farm dish here, but then again any way one can preserve extra eggs are. LOL. I am just now catching up on the last of the egg mania before the hens went on strike.

o

Lol, one year I decided to fix pickled eggs for a family function. I chose a Chinese recipe that was called something like "One hundred year egg" or "Century egg". As I recall there were beets involved and they turned pink. I placed them among my Deviled Eggs on a tray along with some home grown Italian Parsley. I thought the plate looked very nice and colorful, but there was a "minor revolt" in the family, since I had done a change to their favorite dish.
Who would have thought that eggs would be a controversial topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Eggs

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 23:19

I never did traditional pink/red pickled eggs, but when I had guinea hens - tiny eggs - I hard-boiled them and put them into juice saved from dill-pickles and they turned out very nice. Eggs from Bantam chicks work well also.

o

I don't know if this is a German thing. I never had any there and I just looked through a couple of old cookbooks and could not find a recipe either.

o

Come to think of it, it might be a German-by-way-of-Russia thing.

o

I think it's Pennsylvania Dutch/German thing....
In my house pickled eggs are pink.

o

With hot peppers or with beets both good. I think eggs are pickled by many cultures in a variety of ways.

Here is a link that might be useful: Century egg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here