Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A hint of spring.

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 19:45

It has been very cold, actually freezing here in Silicon Valley, but today the weather warmed up a bit and the sun was shining so I felt the familiar get ready for spring bug,
The roses have been trimmed, the Hydrengias have been trimmed and they are budding all over the place. The "early" azelias are showing color. The orange tree is still holding the oranges, despite the frost, but I have not tested the "pucker factor" yet, the lemon tree shows some frost damage on the leaves, but it will take a couple of weeks before I can tell the damage.
Our impatients bit the dust, so we went to the nursery to look for violas, but it was clear that they had been hit by the frost, so we passed on those plants.
The nursery had stocked up on bare root roses and there were several people looking for those plants.
Yes, spring is coming,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A hint of spring.

It is a bit early yet, and February usually bring not only rain, but snow - I am looking for the emergence of the early crocus,haven't seen any yet. Nights are still fairly cold, but days are balmy.
Joan is going riding, she and Lil, her riding buddy, went to the Jackson State forest Monday, had a good time, but there was still a lot of ice on the trails. They are going to Lake Mendocino tomorrow, it is more open there and the trails are good.
Chickens are cranking out eggs, the mallards are back on the pond, hints of spring are all over!

o

Warming up here but not enough to trust it. Still cold in the mornings and the weather underground says it will stay in the mid to upper 70's for the next ten days but nights will be in the low 40's.

o

• Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 11:29

In these parts one doesnt think Spring until late March at the earliest....

o

Our usual sign that Spring is on the way, is a flowering plum tree of some sort. I have no idea what kind it is, but it is always the first thing to bloom and it leads the way for the others.

The other sign is the tree pollen count (can you say..ah-choo?) The count has been high for a few days now.

We have had an unusually warm spell for January. It was over 80 for three or four days this week. It dropped about 30 degrees down into the 50s yesterday and today is cold (for us, that is, not for most of you) I just bought a long sleeve fuzzy shirt and I wonder if I should buy another. Yes, if it's going to be colder. No, if Spring is really coming early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here