Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

I dare you to count the calories

agnespuffin
12 years ago

Another yummy from the old cook book.

JELLY CAKE

"Beat to a cream, one pound of butter, add one pound of sugar, then add the yolks of 10 eggs, 3/4 pound of flour, and finally add the whiltes of the eggs breaten to a froth. Bake in a shallow tin and put jelly between each layer."

Comments (15)

• tibs
    12 years ago

But no perservatives in the recipe and all natural ingredients. Probably all home raised- it has to be good for you.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Minus the jelly a good old pound cake.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was thinking that it's more like a chiffon cake than a pound cake. Lots of butter instead of vegetable oil.

The beaten egg whites would make it lighter and fluffy. I may have to try this one.

The butter used in that day would probably been home-churned.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I just chuckled when you posted this. Before I started cutting back on my laying hens, I would bake concoctions like this to use eggs up so they didn't go bad. First I'd do an angel cake with about a dozen whites, then a pound cake with a dozen yolks. Over and over and freeze the cakes for winter. My daughter makes a lot of cakes using the beaten yolks for levening, instead of baking powder or soda. They're delightful if done right.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Really??? I must confess that what I know about cake baking is that you can buy them in a box.

doesn't a lot of egg yolk make it heavy?

• calliope
    12 years ago

Oh my yes........I meant to say beaten white for levening. The all yolk yellow cakes were indeed heavy. I guess that's why they call them pound cakes.

• tibs
    12 years ago

When I have lots of eggs no I don't have chickens - just when they are on sale. I make noodles with the yolks and merangue cookies with the whites. My kids and neices and nephews loved those things.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I do the noodle routine too, tibs. My God however, I have had fifty-sixty dozen eggs at a crack to deal with. That's when our local charity kitchen got a good donation and they were thrilled.

Do you have any idea how long it would take to make all those noodles? LOL I used to spend days on end making them as many as my clothes rack would hold at a time. I have had as many as thirty one gallons bags of them in the freezer. I have found if the whites are seperated they freeze quite well. I keep small bags of them frozen to make baked meringues and pavlovas.

{{gwi:140142}}

• mawheel
    12 years ago

31 gallon bags of noodles? That's mind-boggling--for my mind, anyway! Your freezer must be a big one, Suzie.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I can so much of my stuff, so I can keep my freezer empty to put stuff one can't can. I keep flours in there, since I buy in bulk and choicer cuts of meat, nuts and specialty items. Most of my fruits and veggies are put up in bottles and in the pantry. I have two freezers actually, one upright and one big, older chest freezer. Used to have two fridges, one soley for eggs. Since I don't sell them anymore, it went bye-bye.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    12 years ago

Although we all reeled at the ingredients for the cake, it's worth pointing out that it's so rich you wouldn't (well, I wouldn't) be eating more than a smidgen at a time. It's all about portion control!!!

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

I agree with sara_the_brit about portion control.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Portion be d***ed. Smack some ice cream on that sucker and shove it over.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

There is a European Bakery downtown San Jose, CA that is fantastic. We peeked in there when we were there last month. I can't wait to visit and try some or all of the goodies. Take a look at the photos below.

Here is a link that might be useful: European Bakery Pics

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

W A R N I N G!!!!! Do not look at the site, European Baker Pictures, on an empty stomach.

Oh, sooooo wonderful. I think that if I should ever do a cross country tour, that bakery would have to be on the list of places to see.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions