Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I dare you to count the calories

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 13, 12 at 19:54

Another yummy from the old cook book.
JELLY CAKE

"Beat to a cream, one pound of butter, add one pound of sugar, then add the yolks of 10 eggs, 3/4 pound of flour, and finally add the whiltes of the eggs breaten to a froth. Bake in a shallow tin and put jelly between each layer."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I dare you to count the calories

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 7:49

But no perservatives in the recipe and all natural ingredients. Probably all home raised- it has to be good for you.

o

Minus the jelly a good old pound cake.

o

I was thinking that it's more like a chiffon cake than a pound cake. Lots of butter instead of vegetable oil.

The beaten egg whites would make it lighter and fluffy. I may have to try this one.

The butter used in that day would probably been home-churned.

o

I just chuckled when you posted this. Before I started cutting back on my laying hens, I would bake concoctions like this to use eggs up so they didn't go bad. First I'd do an angel cake with about a dozen whites, then a pound cake with a dozen yolks. Over and over and freeze the cakes for winter. My daughter makes a lot of cakes using the beaten yolks for levening, instead of baking powder or soda. They're delightful if done right.

o

Really??? I must confess that what I know about cake baking is that you can buy them in a box.

doesn't a lot of egg yolk make it heavy?

o

Oh my yes........I meant to say beaten white for levening. The all yolk yellow cakes were indeed heavy. I guess that's why they call them pound cakes.

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 8:41

When I have lots of eggs no I don't have chickens - just when they are on sale. I make noodles with the yolks and merangue cookies with the whites. My kids and neices and nephews loved those things.

o

I do the noodle routine too, tibs. My God however, I have had fifty-sixty dozen eggs at a crack to deal with. That's when our local charity kitchen got a good donation and they were thrilled.

Do you have any idea how long it would take to make all those noodles? LOL I used to spend days on end making them as many as my clothes rack would hold at a time. I have had as many as thirty one gallons bags of them in the freezer. I have found if the whites are seperated they freeze quite well. I keep small bags of them frozen to make baked meringues and pavlovas.

Photobucket

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 8:40

31 gallon bags of noodles? That's mind-boggling--for my mind, anyway! Your freezer must be a big one, Suzie.

o

I can so much of my stuff, so I can keep my freezer empty to put stuff one can't can. I keep flours in there, since I buy in bulk and choicer cuts of meat, nuts and specialty items. Most of my fruits and veggies are put up in bottles and in the pantry. I have two freezers actually, one upright and one big, older chest freezer. Used to have two fridges, one soley for eggs. Since I don't sell them anymore, it went bye-bye.

o

Although we all reeled at the ingredients for the cake, it's worth pointing out that it's so rich you wouldn't (well, I wouldn't) be eating more than a smidgen at a time. It's all about portion control!!!

o

I agree with sara_the_brit about portion control.

o

Portion be d***ed. Smack some ice cream on that sucker and shove it over.

o

There is a European Bakery downtown San Jose, CA that is fantastic. We peeked in there when we were there last month. I can't wait to visit and try some or all of the goodies. Take a look at the photos below.

Here is a link that might be useful: European Bakery Pics

o

W A R N I N G!!!!! Do not look at the site, European Baker Pictures, on an empty stomach.

Oh, sooooo wonderful. I think that if I should ever do a cross country tour, that bakery would have to be on the list of places to see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here