Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nothing has the power to separate the

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 20:24

generations more than the music they listen to. The Grammys are on the TV in the living room but I guess I have been left behind somewhere. It soundfs to me more like yelling than singing. I don't mean all the way back to Bing Crosby and his crooning but somewhere I seemed to have gotten lost. RE music.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nothing has the power to separate the

Are those things on? Hardly ever watch them any more. Can't get this song out of my head for the last few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Everly Brothers - full Version Color - Walk Right Back 02 - Lyrics

o

I agree, I too prefere music over noise. Add to that lyrics which you can't understand or are offensive and I tune out.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 11:19

Add me to the list if those who don't think it sounds like music. Add the offensive lyrics and even more offensive "dancing"--physical gyrations describe it more accurately--and the channel gets changed very quickly.

o

Over this weekend, someone asked, what do you think the world would be like without music? That's a really good question. Don't you think music is one of THE defining factors for a generation? Just as one "for instance".

o

I remember when Elvis "the pelvis" came on the scene. It was scandalous at the time. Parents had a fit, and us girls loved it.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 20:46

Before Elvis, it was Frankie! All those teen-age girls running after him while screaming hysterically! Parents thought they were all crazy!

o

Robb, a just for instance: today Pete Seeger died. Music which defined an important era.

o

As a small child growing up in a family of singers, I was always singing. The grownups most requested song was Don't Fence Me In. I'm sure there were others but I sure wore that one out.

I was a teen during the Elvis era and loved his music.
I still love his music. ( I Can't Help Falling In Love With You)
was mine and Neil's favorite. When I hear that song, I'm on
the dance floor with my sweetheart . When certain music can
stir up a memory like that, it's timeless.

o

Boy, do I ever agree. Somewhere back in the 50's or early 60's, music became about screaming and beating on things (drums, etc.). Lyrics became irrelevant as did melody. Harry Connick Jr., Diana Krall, Michael Buble and a few other 30-40-somethings are doing their best to keep REAL music alive. I think it will stumble on, as there always seems to be a tiny pocket of each new generation that thinks it would be kinda cool to sit in a smoky piano bar until 3 a.m., sipping Martinis and listening to Frank or whomever on the bandstand, backed by piano, bass and drums. (How'd ya like THAT run-on sentence? lol) But...heavy sigh...the music that completely exemplifies class and elegance doesn't seem to resonate with the masses.

I'm posting this link anyway. Because it's beautiful. And you should listen to it.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Rebecca Kilgore, Rossano Sportiello and Dan Barrett

o

anneliese, so now I am conflicted. Those singers of the 60s and 70s like Dylan; Seeger; Baez; Peter, Paul and Mary... I could go on! really formed a lot of the ways I think and to which I relate. Ok, so maybe they define some people, but help to "form" other people? I would never say any music defines my generation? Or maybe there is music that does, but I just don't relate to my group!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here