Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annoying phrases

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 21:25

Do you hear frequently used cliches that get annoying? One I hear a lot that when used alone and not as a part of a larger thought grates on my nerves.

"It is what it is."

A quote of Billy Frolick in this article about this phrase...

Article

"2) What is your reaction when you see the phrase
used by athletes and others? Pride? Horror? Somewhere in between?

MY REACTION IS OFTEN THAT THE INTERVIEWEE CAN'T
THINK OF ANYTHING INTELLIGENT TO SAY. MAYBE THEY ARE
A) OUT OF BREATH, B) NOT GETTING ENOUGH OXYGEN TO
THEIR BRAIN, OR C) THERE ISN'T MUCH BRAIN THERE TO GET
OXYGEN TO.
IN SOME RESPECTS, IT'S A RATHER LAZY AND
DISRESPECTFUL RESPONSE, ONE WHICH BASICALLY SAYS,
"FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF, DUMBASS." AS A RESULT, I
FIND MYSELF RARELY USING IT, EXCEPT WHEN I'M TALKING TO AGENTS AND PRODUCERS, OF COURSE."

It has history that goes way back but usually as part of a larger thought concept. Some examples....

Quotes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annoying phrases

links got messed up

article

quotes

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 11, 12 at 6:09

Gee, Don, I guess it can be annoying, but have often used it, myself. When a situation or problem can't be changed or solved, it says it all. It may be my way of dissolving myself of responsibility for something. (It's too early in the morning for you to have made me think.) LOL--perhaps another annoying cliche?

o

My boss was the first to say this to me. It was his way of absolving me of stupidity, be it mine or the situation's stupidity. I don't think I've heard others say it, but I'm glad to hear him say it when he does.

o
RE: Annoying phrases, and More

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 11, 12 at 13:46

Rob, I used "dissolving", when I should have chosen "absolving myself . . . ". I said it was too early in the morning for me to think, though, didn't I? :>)

o

Honestly, I read it as absolving! HA! It must've been early indeed.

o

mwheel, your whole post made sense to me, I could go with both words.
I use that phrase a lot, perhaps too much. Usually I say "It is what it is" when I know I can't change something. But when I know I can change something, I may add "for now".

o

I have to chuckle, because I heard that phrase for the first time only a couple months ago, so it's not old and hackneyed to me. I want to use it a few times until I get tired of it......puleeze! I like it because it's brief and succinct and implies you may as well not palaver about how or why something is, but just get over it and deal with it.

"Get over it". Now, that one I'm tired of. "He owns it". I'm tired of that one as well. And for I'm really tired of an emcee saying "put your hands together for...." Not a biggie, any of them. Oh gosh, where would we be without cliches? I suppose they fill a need because they are instantly understood.

o

A phrase that grates on me is when I am walking my dog, I get who's walking who, or somthing to this effect. Somtimes I would hear this more then once on a walk. I know folks are just being friendly and making small talk. But whats wrong with nice day, or just a smile and nod.

o

frogged, I agree with you about "just a smile and nod".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here