Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Sometimes I think we must be the only people on the planet

gandle
11 years ago

who eat tofu regurly. We just had iridofu for dinner this evening and we like it. Oh, by the way, iridofu means chicken with tofu. At least that is what my friend Hideo tells me.

Comments (14)

• mjmercer
    11 years ago

I try to get it into my diet as often as I can -- which turns out to be about once or twice a week.

My challenge is that I don't know how to cook it to get around the bland flavor. Any suggestions?

Karen, vegan-in-training

• joyfulbunny
    11 years ago

i love eating vegetables. escpecially when it is crisp and fresh, tofu is the best too :)

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Our DS went vegetarian a few years ago, so we went looking for resturants and recipes that we could share.
    We found a hole in the wall resturant in a strip mall that has the most wonderful veggi/tofu dishes. Want pork, chicken, beef dishes, you can get it here, but it is all made with tofu.
    We luv it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggi.................

• mawheel
    11 years ago

WG, there is a Carraba's Restaurant in Frederick, MD (about 20 miles from us). We've been there only once, but thought the food was delicious. Guess I didn't peruse the menu carefully enough, b/c I didn't know they had vegetarian fare, unless perhaps, they don't, and it's a specialty of the restaurant near you.

I confess I've never eaten tofu; my taste buds need to be expanded, I think! :>)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Probably not low-cal but I love a happens-to-be-vegetarian dish at a restaurant we sometimes visit. I think it's called sesame tofu. It's chunks of fried tofu in a fairly spicy sweet/sour sauce and sesame seeds all over it. Extremely delicious, filling, and usually paired with steamed broccoli (which always bumps into that yummy sauce just before I take a bite.) Wouldn't be hard to make at home, where I would blot the fried chunks on paper towels, or try sautee'ing without the batter/breading. As long as there's a little crunch on the edges, I don't think anything would be lost. If anybody else would eat it with me, I'd try making it this way (if I could find tofu to buy, don't think I've seen any around here.) It's not something I've had often but have never NOT enjoyed it. It doesn't have to be a main dish and I'm sure I would find lots of uses for it.

• pretty.gurl
    11 years ago

Sometimes I think I am the only person on the planet that loves vegetables. Ha!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi pretty.gurl , and welcome. You're in the right place if you like to grow, cook and eat veggies. What's your favorite veggi?
    Mine is fresh green beans straight from the vine to the pot.

• don_socal
    11 years ago

Should buy some and start experimenting again. Used to eat it quite frequently.

• pretty.gurl
    11 years ago

I don't have one favorite. That is my problem! Currently I am crushing hard on spinach.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

I've had to cut back on eating dark green veggies-- broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, spinach, even dark leaf lettuces, b/c I am taking Warfarin, and those vegetables curtail its effectiveness. I didn't realize how much of them I ate, till I'm not supposed to do so. Even cranberries are now a "no-no"! Which is a bummer, b/c I make a great cranberry sauce. :(

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Tofu is usually my go-to if my husband does not feel like eating a meal and I don't want to cook meat just for myself, which is about once a week.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I had to look up Warfarin, because I have never heard about it before.It so interesting to learn about the chemistry re the human body.

• don_socal
    11 years ago

Fixing now.

This post was edited by don_socal on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 21:40

• don_socal
    11 years ago

Package of tofu cut small
    Eggplant cut 1"
    Fried together in olive oil
    Add
    Red organic rice
    Alfredo sauce