Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Antique Road Show

Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 23:49

I have it going on PBS, sort of listening/watching it. I wonder sometimes how many items of "junk" had been thrown out by folks, and they were hanging on to some "good stuff" that really isn't worth it. We generally see the other side, when some stuff turns out to be very valuable.
I do know many people are rather upset that their parents threw away their collections of comic books or baseball cards - but if most of that had not been thrown away, the ones left would be pretty worthless.
Reactions to the appraisals are a kick!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Antique Road Show

I love watching this show.It's wonderful seeing those people who are so surprised at the value of their contribution. Pleasantly surprised.

o

Someone here at the GP had a relative or neighbor who was on that show and gave us a heads up when it would be aired. The woman was so excited about the value of whatever it was her exuberance made me laugh out loud. Was it Gandle's relative? This will make me crazy until I remember. The Antiques Roadshow is just a nice,cozy,fun program to watch.

o

We really enjoy that show.

Hubby is in the antiques business, and the program's popularity has both helped and hurt.

On the one hand, it seems to have increased awareness and appreciation of antiques.

On the other hand, when he goes on a buying excursion, (a-la American Pickers) people think their mediocre stuff is worth a million.

o

One of my favorite shows. It is funny to see the reaction of the people who learn that their yard sale find is priceless. I enjoy seeing the beautiful things that someone has loved enough save. In the back of my mind there is always that question--I wonder what I have thrown away.

o

Is it really worth 2 in the bush?? Steve in Baltimore County.

o

That was our neighbor Patty. Her g grandparents had Frank Lloyd Wright design this home and Patty had all the plans and correspondence pertaining to it. Google McCook NE historical attractions you"ll see this house.

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 19, 11 at 15:40

Watch antique road show and american pickers and you don't want to discard anything, it might be valuable. then switch over to the horders program and you will be inspired for a major purge of your home.

o

Wish I had the glass Christmas tree ornaments that we had when I was a kid. I remember beautiful birds in such lovely colors and gold walnuts. Each year a few met their end when we kids decorated. Also, we had the real aluminum icicles. When world War 11 came along most folks destroyed the ornaments as they had been made in Germany. The same destiny meet some lovely dishes made in Germany and in Japan. Yup, think they might have been worth two in the bush!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here