Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote Friday, February 3 2012

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 0:05

Consumer is often equated with "freedom" - to be free to choose - but what? Having to decide between hundreds of items, essentially all the same but for the appearance and packaging is not freedom - real freedom is to walk away from all of it.
>me<

This insight happened in the supermarket cereal isle - I have walked away from it and never looked back

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote Friday, February 3 2012

I totally understand Lilo. About six years ago when Christy was undergoing cancer treatment, I started getting groceries delivered. Since then, they don't deliver out here any more but you can order online and just pickup. I haven't been in a grocery store in years. I do most of my cooking from scratch. I resent all the packaging as well as the chemicals and processing. Our orders are pretty basic. Pretty freeing.

o

Easier said than done, at least for me. Got to go to the store today, not my favorite chore, but the biggest decision is always what meat to buy since I have a finicky eater. What he liked yesterday and the last 6 month might not be right tomorrow. Geesh.

o

I need to clarify: I *have* to go grocery shopping, but I avoid the creal isle and the processed food isles as much as I can, they depress me.
When I look at the sales ads from my local store, there is very little I want to "save money" on, because most of it is not real food.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 14:15

When I walk thru the aisles of the grocery store, I often wonder, "Who in the world buys these things? How many different choices do we need?" So many hundreds, maybe even thousands, of items from which to choose, and most of them not good for us. :>(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here