Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
23 February 2011

Posted by endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 0:15

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Heinlein

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 23 February 2011

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 9:40

Heinlein was one wise man

o

Lazarus Long? Having no chance to get to the library at the moment, I just pulled "To Sail beyond the Sunset" to re-read.

o

One of my favorite quotes.

Not sure if it was Lazurus Long; I think it first showed up in one of Heinlein's very early stories.

I usually pull 'Friday' for a re-read, although I've read each of his books several times.

o

The Quote is from Lazarus and was first published in Time Enough For Love. It's was also published separately in The Notebooks of Lazarus Long.

o

Yea, never teach a pig to sing. During WW11, the absolute favorite place to hide anything verboten was to hide it in the pig sty. Be it any kind of communication devices, radios, receivers etc. money, papers or jewelery, it went into the pig sty. We knew that the Nazi soldiers hated to get their boots dirty, so they did not go into the pig slop.
The pigs never sang neither did we.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here