Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
George the dog lover.

Posted by coconut-nj 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 1:03

No, not our George, the other one whose birthday it is. I ran across an article on dogster talking about what a dog lover George Washington was. Here is the story.

"Washington’s affection for dogs is vividly illustrated in an incident that occurred during the Revolutionary War. It was when American forces were trying to contain British General William Howe’s troops, who had occupied Philadelphia. During the Battle of Germantown, which was not going well for the Americans, Washington was encamped was encamped at Pennibecker’s Mill.

On October 6, 1777, a little terrier was seen wandering the area between the American and British lines. New York City. It turns out that General Howe’s little terrier had somehow gotten loose and had become lost on the battlefield. The dog was identified from its collar, and brought to Washington. His officers suggested that he might want to keep the dog as a sort of trophy which might weaken the morale of the British general.

Instead he took the dog into his tent, fed him and had him brushed and cleaned. Then, to the surprise of everyone, Washington ordered a cease fire. The shooting stopped and soldiers on both sides watched as one of Washington’s aides formally returned a little dog to the British commander under a flag of truce."

Nice to know, eh? Happy Birthday George Washington.

George Washington and one of his favorite dogs.
George Washington and one of his favorite dogs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: George the dog lover.

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 14:53

What a nice story.

The "Question of the Day", yesterday, for the "Free Kibble" site was about George, too. (I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws by posting this!) Anyway, here it is:

Q: Pres. George Washington bred American Foxhounds; which of the following were NOT names of his dogs?

A. Sugar and Spice
B. Sweetlips and True Love
C. Captain and Rover
D. Drunkard and Tipsy

If you go to the "Free Kibble" site and answer today's question, you can access a trivia archive, where you can find the answer.

o
RE: George the dog lover.

I check that site after 11 each nite but cant remember the answer I was surprised at it I love that place and you can also feed the cats too from there

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here