Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quotes for Sunday February 5, 2012

Posted by coconut-nj 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 1:39

This weeks quotes will reflect my celebration of Black History Month.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning.
Maya Angelo

Here is a link that might be useful: Phenomenal Woman read by Maya Angelou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quotes for Sunday February 5, 2012

The first quote is so true, and I believe it starts with parents reading to their children while young.

When my nieces and nephews were young, they would ask, "Aunt Nancy, how do you know so much?" My answer always was, "I read."

To my private pleasure and pride, now that they are teenagers, when I ask them how they got so smart, the reply to me, "I read."

o

I yet have to find a quote from Maya Angelou which I do not agree with.

o

When you are a reader, you are educated, reading is the skill you need to learn.

o

Oh yes, reading is crucial in so many ways. I've had a pretty interesting life and learned much through my experiences and yet, there is so much of what I know that came from books.

I know what you mean Anneliese. I don't always, always agree but I have collected so many quotes from Maya Angelou that I'll be hard pressed to make myself include any by anyone else!

o

Whenever I meet a dull and uninteresting person, I am not at all surprised to find out that they don't read. If nothing else, it enlarges the vocabulary.

We have a nephew that was an uninteresting child. He owns a successful business but he's still dull. He's in his 60s now and I found out not too long ago, that he doesn't even subscribe to a newspaper. He reads his Sunday School lesson, but that's it. How do people like that think if they don't have different outlooks to enrich themselves?

It's amazing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here