Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quotes 2 -16 -13

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 2:54

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

We must cultivate our own garden. When man was put in the garden of Eden he was put there so that he should work, which proves that man was not born to rest.
Voltaire

A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust.
Gertrude Jekyll

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quotes 2 -16 -13

I like the first one ....it suits me to a tee!

One of my sons said that he imagined heaven to be one, big library with every book ever printed on the shelves.

And you wouldn't have to look for one unless you wanted to. Just think about something and the book about it would appear in your hands.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 7:51

The library part of Cicero's quote suits me to a "T", the garden part, not quite as much. I really don't like to get dirt under my fingernails--I know, gloves would eliminate that, but then I don't get the "feel" of what I'm doing--but for me, the main drawback in gardening is that the weather is usually HOT! I'm really not a hot weather fan.

o

I like Cicero's quote, too, and studied him in high school and college Latin classes. My most important things next to my pets are my plants and my books.

Years ago I read somewhere that old souls are gardeners. I don't know if that's true, but it seems to fit the gardeners I've known.

o

Like - typing with one hand, maximus asleep on the other

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here